How to start

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
RedVee

Re: How to start

Post by RedVee » 12 Mar 2017, 12:28

Back to "Yesterday" - it seems to be resurfacing as the singers struggled a bit.

Anyway - back to the tabs for a refresher.
One of the them have us going up to D# at E 11, which seems odd to me considering the pattern of the rest of it.

What advantage would I have playing that, as opposed to at A 6 or D 1 frets ?
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 12 Mar 2017, 15:52

The tone can be a little different but that's about it. Just play where it works best for you as far as going from the note before to the one after is concerned.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 12 Mar 2017, 21:59

tearalong wrote:The tone can be a little different but that's about it. Just play where it works best for you as far as going from the note before to the one after is concerned.
Thanks Stephen.

Thought so, but better to be safe.
I'll have a play around and find something that feels right.

Geoff

onehandclapping

Post by onehandclapping » 13 Mar 2017, 14:42

RedVee wrote:Back to "Yesterday" - it seems to be resurfacing as the singers struggled a bit.

One of the them have us going up to D# at E 11, which seems odd to me considering the pattern of the rest of it.

I learnt this 100 years ago and never got to play it until a few weeks back.
Never went past the 5th fret if that helps at all.Awesome notes for bass just at the end,I believe in yesterday,C B Bflat F F from memory.Nice clip on YouTube of The Beatles playing it live as a band in Japan with the Hofner.
Last edited by onehandclapping on 17 Nov 2017, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
62 white jazz,slab board.
63 fiesta red jazz bass,matching h'stock
64 jazz sburst
Dale Fortune 1964 Rick 1999/4001s
64 CS Jazz,car
Trace Elliot V4 x 2 all valve heads, 412L Schroeder cab,TC rh450,Schroeder 1212Lcab

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 13 Mar 2017, 15:59

onehandclapping wrote:
RedVee wrote:Back to "Yesterday" - it seems to be resurfacing as the singers struggled a bit.

I learnt this 100 years ago and never got to play it until a few weeks back.
Never went past the 5th fret if that helps at all.Awesome notes for bass just at the end,I believe in yesterday,C B Bflat F F from memory.Nice clip on YouTube of The Beatles playing it live as a band in Germany with the Hofner.
hence the D# at E 11 seems so jarring. anothing else above 5 on any string.

the singers found it too hard last year so they dropped it. which I didnt mind :) because i was struggling with it big time. this year they want to try again and I've been having a little play around on lounge with it. i've cut it into sections and i think i'm getting it. Well, i'm enjoying it a bit now. :)
I'll keep at it, and may be able to start singing along with it as well at some stage.

onehandclapping

Post by onehandclapping » 13 Mar 2017, 16:44

I have found just getting the correct notes is what you are after ,not worrying about the tab.I have heard Sir Paul playing stuff live where he plays bass lines in a different octave,eg Get Back.Just take your time,like you say,little sections,and do a little each day and then all of a sudden it will "Come Together" :peep:
62 white jazz,slab board.
63 fiesta red jazz bass,matching h'stock
64 jazz sburst
Dale Fortune 1964 Rick 1999/4001s
64 CS Jazz,car
Trace Elliot V4 x 2 all valve heads, 412L Schroeder cab,TC rh450,Schroeder 1212Lcab

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 13 Mar 2017, 20:28

onehandclapping wrote:I have found just getting the correct notes is what you are after ,not worrying about the tab.I have heard Sir Paul playing stuff live where he plays bass lines in a different octave,eg Get Back.Just take your time,like you say,little sections,and do a little each day and then all of a sudden it will "Come Together" :peep:
Thanks mate.

I was just surprised at the selection in the tab. It brought to mind the question on choosing 'which' location for any particular note.

I actually saw a few different versions and they are quite different. Think I'm settled now on the one I think sounds good, and if I can manage to find my way around and learn it... even better.

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 15 Mar 2017, 21:43

Lol. The danger of tab!
The 11 that confused me - and yep it is wrong - is 2x1 or 2x F. Sorted.

RickG

Post by RickG » 17 Nov 2017, 13:56

I thought I might give this a bump with my own experiences.

After quite a while of false starts., time-wasting and dead-end playing opportunities on gumtree, I stumbled on open mic nights as another alternative (I'd always thought of them as being more for singer/songwriters).

I went to one at a local club this week and was blown away at the relaxed and supportive vibe, and the professionalism of everyone involved. I got up and played a couple of songs and it was awesome fun (I haven't really played live for about 20 years).
I'll definitely be back for more. I reckon it's a great way of getting back into playing live without a lot of the hassles related with trying to find a suitable band. Obviously a proper band would be the ultimate goal but this will do fine for now.

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 17 Nov 2017, 17:58

RickG wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 13:56
I thought I might give this a bump with my own experiences.

After quite a while of false starts., time-wasting and dead-end playing opportunities on gumtree, I stumbled on open mic nights as another alternative (I'd always thought of them as being more for singer/songwriters).

I went to one at a local club this week and was blown away at the relaxed and supportive vibe, and the professionalism of everyone involved. I got up and played a couple of songs and it was awesome fun (I haven't really played live for about 20 years).
I'll definitely be back for more. I reckon it's a great way of getting back into playing live without a lot of the hassles related with trying to find a suitable band. Obviously a proper band would be the ultimate goal but this will do fine for now.
I’ll keep my eyes open, maybe just attend as a viewer til I know what is what.