Show us your gigs.

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
bigswifty

Re: Show us your gigs.

Post by bigswifty » 06 Nov 2017, 19:41

Here are a few shots from the Women In Blues Xmas gig last Saturday at Corrimal RSL:

And just because the photographer said "I just love bass guitars (can't play) and that is such a good one, and sounds great too - bonus! " .....

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 06 Nov 2017, 21:12

Love those photos Mike. :thumbup: :drool:
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 07 Nov 2017, 08:53

Nice shots Mike

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 07 Nov 2017, 09:16

I think theres a disproportonate number of Duesey players on board here. :)

What strings are you using ATM?
Duesenberg MC Starplayer, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 07 Nov 2017, 17:40

vin-tone wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 09:16
I think theres a disproportonate number of Duesey players on board here. :)

What strings are you using ATM?
Chromes in the larger gauge with the 105 E string in the standard scale length, not the short scale set.

I would prefer to use TI's like Mark does, but 90% of my gigs are downtuned by a semitone and I find TI's can't tolerate that even on a standard scale bass so I didn't even bother trying with the Duesenberg.

That gig was mostly stuff old school RnB and Soul, I thought it sounded great. Dave Green who would normally have been playing that gig (I was just the hired help) with Sally King was in the audience and very kindly said that it sounded perfect for the night.

Mike

Ox Boris

Post by Ox Boris » 07 Nov 2017, 19:00

Some pics of the last 2 gigs.

Ox Boris

Post by Ox Boris » 07 Nov 2017, 19:04

Some pics of the last 2 gigs.

Afternoon at The Australian Hotel

Night time at The Herbert in the City

And a video. What else do you play at a city pub in North Queensland? ;-)

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 07 Nov 2017, 23:55

bigswifty wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 17:40

I would prefer to use TI's like Mark does, but 90% of my gigs are downtuned by a semitone and I find TI's can't tolerate that even on a standard scale bass so I didn't even bother trying with the Duesenberg.
Mike - what about tuning UP some BEAD strings from a 5string TI set? It'll be equivalent to tuning each string UP two semitones.

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 08 Nov 2017, 07:13

BassLine wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 23:55
bigswifty wrote:

Mike - what about tuning UP some BEAD strings from a 5string TI set? It'll be equivalent to tuning each string UP two semitones.
Owen - tuning BEAD strings up to Eb Ab Dd Gb requires tuning up two tones, not semitones. Could the strings handle that amount of tension?
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 08 Nov 2017, 15:28

maxgroover wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 07:13
BassLine wrote:
bigswifty wrote:

Owen - tuning BEAD strings up to Eb Ab Dd Gb requires tuning up two tones, not semitones. Could the strings handle that amount of tension?
I knew I needed to add more detail.

In the TI's...
- the shortscales ADG strings are the same gauge as longscale set.
- shortscales E string is marginally heavier to compensate for floppiness. Tuning up = use regular gauge.
- they don't do a 5 string set for shortscale basses. Buy the standard 5 string set, using the BEAD strings only.

Putting 34" strings on a 30" bass
=> the tension of EADG on a 30" bass is equivalent to tuning a 34" bass to DGCF.

So, detuning TI's a semitone on a 30" bass, the tension would effectively be C# F# B E. Waaay too floppy, even for me.

Therefore, you'd technically only be taking them up the equivalent of two semitones from the BEAD tuning concert pitch on the 34" scale it was originally designed for.... and they sound and feel awesome tuned up.

Can they handle that tension?
Yes they can definitely handle being tuned 3 semitones up, so they would comfortably handle 2 semitones.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 08 Nov 2017, 22:37

Very interesting, thanks Owen! Rather an expensive experiment but I will certainly think about that next time the Chromes give me the irrits. I tend to play the Doozy/Chromes here at home and think it sounds pretty "meh" but take it to a gig and it's always awesome :)
Mike
BassLine wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 15:28
maxgroover wrote:
BassLine wrote:

In the TI's...
- shortscales E string is marginally heavier to compensate for floppiness. Tuning up = use regular gauge.
- they don't do a 5 string set for shortscale basses. Buy the standard 5 string set, using the BEAD strings only.

=> the tension of EADG on a 30" bass is equivalent to tuning a 34" bass to DGCF.

So, detuning TI's a semitone on a 30" bass, the tension would effectively be C# F# B E. Waaay too floppy, even for me.

Therefore, you'd technically only be taking them up the equivalent of two semitones from the BEAD tuning concert pitch on the 34" scale it was originally designed for.... and they sound and feel awesome tuned up.

Yes they can definitely handle being tuned 3 semitones up, so they would comfortably handle 2 semitones.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 09 Nov 2017, 07:48

bigswifty wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 22:37
Very interesting, thanks Owen! Rather an expensive experiment but I will certainly think about that next time the Chromes give me the irrits. I tend to play the Doozy/Chromes here at home and think it sounds pretty "meh" but take it to a gig and it's always awesome :)
Mike
BassLine wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 15:28
maxgroover wrote:

In the TI's...

Very true. Chromes at a gig just work so well.

I got the TI's idea from TalkBass thread on RA Mouse string discussion. Chris Fitzgerald tunes 5 string TI BEAD strings up on his Mouse bc he hates tapewounds.

I tuned my Jazz bass 34" up 3 semitones to feel the equivalent tension and they sounded amazing. More stiffness but similar feel & timbre to Thomastik Spirocores I used to use on DB.

Yes - an expensive experiment, but worth trying. I really dislike the FEEL of Chromes and still not used to them....

drbass

Post by drbass » 12 Nov 2017, 20:11

Couple from today's gig "in the country". Lovely setting just outside of Heathcote, good audience, and I actually played all 4 basses.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 12 Nov 2017, 23:21

4 guitars need 4 basses on the other side to balance the stage. How did they all compare "in the wild", Michael?

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 13 Nov 2017, 09:14

I'd like to see a drummer bring four kits... ha ha ha!
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz