What bass guitar sounds DON'T you like?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
SneakyJak

What bass guitar sounds DON'T you like?

Post by SneakyJak » 13 Aug 2013, 16:53

slowlearner wrote:It's not OD in 'Alive'. IIRC, Jeff Ament's bass had a modulus neck with an epoxy board. It's 100% growl with a little chorus.
I thought he played a Wal fretless?

slowlearner

Re: What bass guitar sounds DON'T you like?

Post by slowlearner » 13 Aug 2013, 18:39

I'll try and dig out the old BP article. I have it hear somewhere...
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 13 Aug 2013, 21:18

Hmm, lots of different basses, no clear indication on which one he used on "Alive" in the article. :(
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Memphaustralian

Post by Memphaustralian » 15 Aug 2013, 14:43

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/07/30 ... ass-drums/

isolated it sounds fretless and pretty slopily intonated :)

OzzyGreg

Post by OzzyGreg » 20 May 2018, 08:10

Sorry to dig up a reeeaaally old thread, but I was just thinking about this the other day....

I've worked out that I (personally) simply don't like solo neck or bridge pickups on any bass. Not sure what exactly it is, but I just don't like the sound of a soloed (non-sweet spot) pickup.

Neck pickups soloed are slightly better than bridge ones IMO, but still not as good as a sweet-spot mount or, better still, a neck and bridge pair combined.

Example: My own Rick 4001. I never use the bridge or neck pickup alone. I've spent 99.9% of the time I've spent playing it over the years with both pickups combined.

The US Jazz I sold a while back: I always played it the same way.

My two cents and once again, sorry for digging up an ancient thread. I know a lot of people find it annoying for some reason. :)
Can't quite let go of my basses. They're kind of addictive.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 20 May 2018, 10:30

OzzyGreg wrote:
20 May 2018, 08:10
sorry for digging up an ancient thread. I know a lot of people find it annoying for some reason. :)
Fine by me, I missed it the first time around :) I do 90% of my gigs on a bass with one pickup (stingray) and I'm just fine with it. Other bass players like it.

On the gigs where I take a bass with two pickups (duesenberg), I almost *never* have just one of the pickups solo'd.

I errr haven't contributed anything to this thread. Also I may just have proved that I'm a nutter :)

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 20 May 2018, 20:21

Ooh, I love my neck pups solo'ed and finger-played on the bottom of the fingerboard - including ones right on the neck heel. But then I dont play all that loud live. I've just realised I never play the bridge pup by itself - usually too strident for quiet stuff.
I see..............basses!

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 20 May 2018, 21:15

I love Pino as a player but I don't dig his P bass with TI flats tone. Listening to John Mayer's Continuum right now and it seems so muddy and indistinct. IMO his sound is too clean to have no highs in his sound. A tube amp adding some harmonic richness and then maybe it would work.

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 21 May 2018, 11:11

The sound that frustrates the schnitzel out of me is that really clacky, sticky sound that always seems to happen on gear review videos. Even with headphones or a good sound system it's like they've removed the bass 50% and boosted the higher freqs. All you hear is a metric-fk-tonne of string buzz and finger squeak... It's bad enough the reviewer spends 10 mins talking crap holding the bass and NOT bloody playing it...

Of and smiley face mid scoops... Thats the worst :-)
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, Fender Jazz Am Deluxe & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, GK MB500, GB NeoX 212T, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 21 May 2018, 11:19

FunkyJase wrote:
21 May 2018, 11:11
The sound that frustrates the schnitzel out of me is that really clacky, sticky sound that always seems to happen on gear review videos. Even with headphones or a good sound system it's like they've removed the bass 50% and boosted the higher freqs. All you hear is a metric-fk-tonne of string buzz and finger squeak... It's bad enough the reviewer spends 10 mins talking crap holding the bass and NOT bloody playing it...

It’s like they don’t mute the room mic when they play so you hear all the clacky fret noise, yeah I hate that too! I find the same problem with playing at home I have to push the amp volume above the acoustic noises of the bass or I’d rather play with noise cancelling headphones. Boo to clack!
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 21 May 2018, 13:44

narcdor wrote:
21 May 2018, 11:19
FunkyJase wrote:

It’s like they don’t mute the room mic when they play so you hear all the clacky fret noise, yeah I hate that too! I find the same problem with playing at home I have to push the amp volume above the acoustic noises of the bass or I’d rather play with noise cancelling headphones. Boo to clack!
Totally - I also really dislike review vids where they do wild solos with a pick or slap the whole time. like dude! Just fkn play a groove! It's like they want the world to know they can play he he
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, Fender Jazz Am Deluxe & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, GK MB500, GB NeoX 212T, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 21 May 2018, 16:56

FunkyJase wrote:
Totes with you. You see some product demos by really really good players with things just rattling and clanking about all over the place. I know there have been plenty of great famous players who have made that sort of stuff work for them but for demo'ing stuff it's frustrating to hear.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|