Demos and slapping; what is with that?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
slowlearner

Demos and slapping; what is with that?

Post by slowlearner » 10 Apr 2013, 08:33

I love youtube and vimeo and all the cool vids for basses, amps, strings, pickups and the like. But I've noticed one consistent issue across the board and it still beggars belief. In all my years of bass playing I've probably played slapped parts live around 2% of the time and that's being generous I reckon. I mean sure I've slapped a lot at home, but hardly ever on gigs or at church. So...

Why the heck does every demo have at least half taken up with slapping riffs!?! :shrug:

I mean sure, it makes the bass player sound cool, but it's NO help whatsoever and telling me how the item featured will sound at a folk gig or a jazz gig. Even Ed Friedland does it. Am I the only one who's frustrated by this phenomenon?
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

terry

Re: Demos and slapping; what is with that?

Post by terry » 10 Apr 2013, 08:48

To me it's the most obvious way of hearing the sound of a bass. You can hear the frequency peak and the timbre of the bass by slapping it. WIth fingerstyle.. probably not as much. Regarding your experience of playing bass and whether you use slapping / how important it is for you.. Is irrelevant.
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 10 Apr 2013, 09:13

terry wrote:Regarding your experience of playing bass and whether you use slapping / how important it is for you.. Is irrelevant.
Well see that's where I disagree with you. I'd say most of the guys on this forum have not used/hardly use slapping on regular weekly gigs. I know it's different for you. But please don't tell me my experience is irrelevant. I've been playing and teaching bass now for 24 years.

bianchijustin

Post by bianchijustin » 10 Apr 2013, 09:21

slowlearner wrote:
terry wrote:Regarding your experience of playing bass and whether you use slapping / how important it is for you.. Is irrelevant.
Well see that's where I disagree with you. I'd say most of the guys on this forum have not used/hardly use slapping on regular weekly gigs. I know it's different for you. But please don't tell me my experience is irrelevant. I've been playing and teaching bass now for 24 years.
:popcorn:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side".
Hunter S. Thompson

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 10 Apr 2013, 09:23

Being fair to Ed, he usually tries to give a bit of slap, pick and fingerstyle in the reviews I've seen. And I think that's the main thing with reviews, to work through all the styles, all the pickup combinations and so on.

When I see a review that's full of slapping (which I generally love listening to btw) I always find that I'm wishing I could hear how well the notes sustain (among other things).

Doubtless someone who mostly slaps would whine about a review that only did fingerstyle or pick.

A proper review should cover all bases IMO
Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 10 Apr 2013, 09:43

bigswifty wrote:Being fair to Ed, he usually tries to give a bit of slap, pick and fingerstyle in the reviews I've seen. And I think that's the main thing with reviews, to work through all the styles, all the pickup combinations and so on.

Totally

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Pantsman

Post by Pantsman » 10 Apr 2013, 10:13

Aussie Mark wrote:
bigswifty wrote:Being fair to Ed, he usually tries to give a bit of slap, pick and fingerstyle in the reviews I've seen. And I think that's the main thing with reviews, to work through all the styles, all the pickup combinations and so on.

Totally
+1 If buying a bass without playing it first I'd much rather a review where the reviewer uses slap, finger and pick.

adge

Post by adge » 10 Apr 2013, 10:48

terry wrote:To me it's the most obvious way of hearing the sound of a bass. You can hear the frequency peak and the timbre of the bass by slapping it. WIth fingerstyle.. probably not as much. Regarding your experience of playing bass and whether you use slapping / how important it is for you.. Is irrelevant.

To quote Warren Smith "you can take me now, I've seen it all"

Slapping died a very loud and painful death in the 80s... i blame Michael Balzary's heroin addiction for it rearing its ugly head again.

TOTALLY agree with the OP. When i used to work in some store that sold those wooden things with the bits of metal on them i asked people the % of their gigs where they actually slapped. EVERYONE said 0%-5%. So if its only making you 0-5% of your money, why the hell spend so much time "doing" it???!!!

Some homework for everyone- jump on itunes. Go down the list of the current chart. Find me a song with slap bass in it. - I've just had a listen, find me a song with a real bass guitar and ill buy you a beer!! haha
Giving up music to take up drug dealing.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 10 Apr 2013, 10:56

I think slap has its place... I'm not saying publicly where that place is, however...

;)

seriously... if a review has slap in it, that's ok... if a review has ONLY slap in it, that's NOT ok.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

ScottyBoy

Post by ScottyBoy » 10 Apr 2013, 12:28

This video came to mind as soon as I read your post. This is from a store wanting to sell amps... I didn't really get to hear the amp.

weemac

Post by weemac » 10 Apr 2013, 12:35

When I hear a demo where there is only slap I start thinking: "Gee, I wonder what that bass really sounded like?"
Stingrays are such a wonderful bass but I wonder why so may folks make them sound so one dimensional?

But each to their own I guess.......

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

CamZH

Post by CamZH » 10 Apr 2013, 12:39

Didnt we already have this discussion like 5 times already.

slapping seems to be some sort of substitute for sex.
people practice doing it solo a lot more often than they get to do it properly.....
Troll lol loling along

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 10 Apr 2013, 12:40

CamZH wrote:Didnt we already have this discussion like 5 times already.

people practice doing it solo a lot more often than they get to do it properly.....
Or in public!!! :lol:

weemac

Post by weemac » 10 Apr 2013, 12:41

CamZH wrote:Didnt we already have this discussion like 5 times already.

Snort! :lol:

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 10 Apr 2013, 12:47

ScottyBoy wrote:This video came to mind as soon as I read your post. This is from a store wanting to sell amps... I didn't really get to hear the amp.
Precisely...

Even the finger style parts were abstract to say the least. :shrug:

As to what people do in their bedrooms... well lets just say I'm leaving that the heck alone! :peep:

P.s. it was this post on BBG that started me off with all this today!
http://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/gear/ ... ckups.html