You Am I tonight Narrabeen RSL

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
Lukaas3

You Am I tonight Narrabeen RSL

Post by Lukaas3 » 08 Dec 2017, 06:41

Hi all just a heads up about a great rock and roll gig tonight.

I went earlier this year and they smoked, perfect time to see the last of the Rock Star frontmen in a tiny room with club beer prices.

Luke.

slowlearner

Re: You Am I tonight Narrabeen RSL

Post by slowlearner » 08 Dec 2017, 09:38

It's a tragedy that acts like this are stuck in these sorts of venues. In the US or Europe, they'd be huge. Thank you NSW govt for killing live music with poker machines. :(
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

cleary

Post by cleary » 08 Dec 2017, 10:38

I remember seeing them in Griffith 20ish (ouch!) years ago. One of my all time favourite gigs - wish I could get along to this
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 08 Dec 2017, 12:32

Saw them a few times over the years, last time was at the Enmore about 2 years ago - they would be awesome in a small RSL

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 08 Dec 2017, 14:20

slowlearner wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 09:38
It's a tragedy that acts like this are stuck in these sorts of venues. In the US or Europe, they'd be huge. Thank you NSW govt for killing live music with poker machines. :(
I thought those big RSL and RL clubs with pokies were the ones paying bands good money, but I bet that's only a select few agency coverbands.
yeah pokies killed live music in Adelaide. The ONLY pubs with live ORIGINAL music are the little rundown pubs with no pokies, no TAB, no TV sports and no food. tho they have a loyal following but even that is dying out. Who can go out drinking at ten friggin bucks for a pint of draught beer ffs. If they even serve draught beer, it's mostly craft beer at $13 a pint .grrr

yeah sad that You Am I are doing these shows but then again, you are never too big for your boots.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

dagwood dawg

Post by dagwood dawg » 08 Dec 2017, 20:14

Aussie Mark wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 12:32
Saw them a few times over the years, last time was at the Enmore about 2 years ago - they would be awesome in a small RSL
Saw Y.A.I on the south coast at Sussex inlet. Support was Dallas Crane. Fantastic show. Probably fifty punters. Back when puss was a kitten :yep

dagwood dawg

Post by dagwood dawg » 08 Dec 2017, 20:18

They are also playing a festival down here at Berry this weekend

lostdoggy

Post by lostdoggy » 08 Dec 2017, 20:24

Probably the band I've seen more than any other. All sorts of venues, indoor and out.
Always great.

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 09 Dec 2017, 07:28

Narrabeen RSL is a tiny club. Most people on the Northern Beaches don't know it exists. We played there once, they were paying $1000 a night to be split across 2 bands. The two bands that were booked usually play for drinks. We were filling in for one of the bands. They basically either wanted pub-rock cover bands or really big names. We are a blues band, didn't really fit the mould, but those that were there enjoyed it.
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

Lukaas3

Post by Lukaas3 » 09 Dec 2017, 22:10

Well it was interesting.

The sound was a disaster again. I saw them at Narra earlier this year and the sound was bad, this time even worse.

All bass boom and vocals, virtually NO guitars which for what is a hook driven guitar band , led to disaster.

Tim rogers was punching the ceiling at one point.

In fairness to the FOH tech, they support band, The Dead Love , who you have to check out, amazing grind band, think hardcore nirvana, sounded great.

There's something wrong when Davey Lanes solos cannot be heard.

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 11 Dec 2017, 06:23

I only saw them once, that was when they supported the Who at the Ent Cent. They were awful. All tops, couldn't distinguish one song from another, the only thing that stood out was the drums. It seriously sounded like white noise with a drum beat. couldn't hear the vocal either.
Bad mix, without a doubt. They are a talented band and shouldn't have sounded that bad.
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 11 Dec 2017, 09:28

Saw them with Hoodoo Gurus at Towradgi last July - Great gig & great sound

MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 11 Dec 2017, 12:12

I can't understand how a sound guy can @#$% up a major band's sound in a small venue to such an extent that you can't hear the guitars....in a guitar band.

who does their sound? I want names so I never ever hire them.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts