who says you can take phone videos of my band?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
BazzBass

who says you can take phone videos of my band?

Post by BazzBass » 12 Aug 2017, 01:32

why does every second person at a live gig think they can stand in front of the band all night with their phone taking video shots?

Performance copyright is a thing, why does nobody object?

Is it because you're happy just to get any interest? Glad to have them spread your music over social media? Do the benefits outweigh any downsides?

Is it just a sign of the times and I'd better get used to it?

Or should/could the bands stop this practice by stopping mid-show until these filmers stop? :shrug:
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

Ox Boris

Re: who says you can take phone videos of my band?

Post by Ox Boris » 12 Aug 2017, 02:18

Forget it if you're in public.
BazzBass wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 01:32
Or should/could the bands stop this practice by stopping mid-show until these filmers stop?
I'd advise against it.
Get the venue's agreement that they will ask people to leave if they don't stop filming. If I were management, I wouldn't agree to do so. I would, however, agree to tell them to move if they were front-and-centre, killing the vibe and the connection twixt band and audience.

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 12 Aug 2017, 09:30

For us it's
Is it because you're happy just to get any interest? Glad to have them spread your music over social media?

Unfortunately, no one does it
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 12 Aug 2017, 10:55

I'd figure that any publicity is good.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 12 Aug 2017, 11:53

yeah all good points. I'd just be happy that there was anybody in our audience to start with hehe
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 12 Aug 2017, 12:02

And, it happens at larger events also - so it seems to accepted practice by society
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 12 Aug 2017, 12:44

last concert I went to was Pearl Jam in 06. I couldn't hear Eddie at all coz EVERYBODY around me was singing along as loudly as they could. I didn't pay over a hundred bucks to hear you idiots, SHUTUP and listen to the act that you paid to hear ffs.

Never goin to a concert again until these millenials "it's all about ME" grow up.....it will be a loooong wait lol

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Aug 2017, 15:02

Just because it's accepted doesn't mean it's not stupid behaviour. It totally messes with the vibe between band and audience, ok for a quick pic or maybe a snatch of an all time favourite song but who wants to look at shaky camera work, terrible sound, and poor lighting (for a phone) video? Nobody. So you've managed to annoy everyone near you and the band for zero reason.

The Pearl Jam singalong is true of most wide reaching mass appeal bands gigs, I don't tend to go to them any more for this and similar reasons. It's not just the kids singing either, been to an iron maiden show lately? All guys in their 40s/50s singing falsetto as loud as they can while their bourbon cans spill everywhere.

People always have the capacity to be idiots, it's not a new problem, phones are just the latest face to it, and you deal with it best as you can at the time in the given circumstance.
Basses: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
Amps: O'Neill B15 copy, Walkabout, Puma 900
Cabs: Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 12 Aug 2017, 15:32

narcdor wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 15:02
been to an iron maiden show lately? All guys in their 40s/50s singing falsetto as loud as they can while their bourbon cans spill everywhere.
Once you've pictured this in your head, you CAN"T unsee it, thanks a lot :) :bat:

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 12 Aug 2017, 15:56

I was at a Santana concert a few years ago and it was hard to see the guy on stage past all the bloody iphones being held up to video him!!! Even in the day-to-day, people don't seem to ask before they start filming...

rudager

Post by rudager » 12 Aug 2017, 16:19

BazzBass wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 12:44
last concert I went to was Pearl Jam in 06. I couldn't hear Eddie at all coz EVERYBODY around me was singing along as loudly as they could. I didn't pay over a hundred bucks to hear you idiots, SHUTUP and listen to the act that you paid to hear ffs.

Never goin to a concert again until these millenials "it's all about ME" grow up.....it will be a loooong wait lol
Interesting that such experiences can vary so greatly. For example, that's happened every time I've been to see U2 - but I LOVE it. 50,000 people in a stadium singing Where The Streets Have No Name at the top of their lungs is something to behold. It's a massive reminder to me that there can still be unity in society and that we can transcend the division and hate whenever we choose, and I'm more than thankful that music is the catalyst. I know what Bono sounds like. I'm there to experience something else, that something from the next realm of magic that happens when certain people get together to play music. :)

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 13 Aug 2017, 01:05

that's one song, with room for people to sing along to

not the whole bloody concert