CBS era Fender, the real story

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
BassLine

Re: CBS era Fender, the real story

Post by BassLine » 18 Apr 2018, 09:40

Pick it up, play it, and make your own opinion. I've played $3000 lemons and $300 gems.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 18 Apr 2018, 10:15

aphekgreg wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 09:25
Rocksolid wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 16:53
Bazz, I've now read the article.

The very next sentence that you didn't copy in gives it context:

So John Page and Troy Lane and I, we sat down and re-wrote the criteria. Because in some ways it was too strict.
Although the strict part was mainly in reference to the grain of the wood. Only ash with straight grain, was to be used for natural bodies.
That is one he mentioned. But the painted guitars they were pulling out to check, they would have no idea at that point if the grain was straight or not I wouldn't think?
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 18 Apr 2018, 12:30

my intention in posting this was not to demean the value of these TV basses, nor to make anyone feel that their bass is in any way inferior.
I'm absolutely sure that any surviving basses from this era are still around because they are great players. They all look gorgeous to me too. I'd buy one if I had the cash and it had a good neck.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 18 Apr 2018, 12:43

aphekgreg wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 09:27
My observation, is that the basses didn't suffer as much as the guitars. With the guitars, the pickups became weaker and thinner sounding and they went to the die cast bridges, that really sucked away the tone. I think it's no surprise that the market for replacement parts took off in the '70s.
This makes heaps of sense to me. I have numerous guitarists that I play with 70s strats that have happily swapped out pick ups with no concern for keeping the guitar original because it was just not playable any more. Looking for old basses we definitely want original, but this seems less of a concerns to guitarists I know. This explains why. Thanks for the insight.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

tyr0n

Post by tyr0n » 20 Apr 2018, 17:02

Greg has mentioned for 'natural' bodies "only Ash with straight grain" was permitted to be used.
we know Alder was the timber used in general for the painted 'self-color' bodies and Ash for 'naturals'.
natural-bodies were those with a Sunburst which was obviously a staple and traditional finish.
with that in mind we could conclude that Greg's comment implies that very few of the naturals examined really did have a truly straight grain, so rejection often arose due to imperfections in the wood grain.
In a painted body the grain is covered by the finish whereas naturals display a visible wood grain area.
Early Fenders have yellow stain behind the clear, central regions of a Sunburst and later it was thin paint.