Latest Builds

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
basshack

Latest Builds

Post by basshack » 07 Apr 2018, 17:13

So I've been coping a bit of flack about what I have been doing at MSGM recently. So here is what has happened over the last few months. I don't think I can compete with the amazing work coming through the shop but I can be different.

Stainless Steel fretless, inspired by LeFay Basses. Love what those guys are doing and now I know it can work I will be putting the pennies aside for a Pangton Steel. Solid one piece Mahogany construction (because we could and I like different). I had the piece sitting in the shed for about 5 years maturing which I was unsure what to do with. It was all wormy but there was more than enough to work with in the end. This one got MEC pups from my old Corvette, that is now running Delano's. It's got a Nol preamp with 3 band parametric EQ, active passive and blend because I had no idea how the SS board would work out. It's got a Hipshot Headless Tuner System. 31.5" scale because Ben likes short scales. Oh and a tort control cover because DrBass loves tort. It'll get changed out for something else down the track Michael don't worry.

Its dished at the back to make it comfortable to sit with, sort of cuddles into you. Pretty heavy with that piece of steel on the neck but it does balance well on a strap. Note the placement of the button at the back but there is also another one below the controls which works for sitting down. It's a little shy of 6kg and if I built another one I'd take out some metal from the board. It doesn't need to be solid so could be lightened but creating hollows in the back. It doesn't have a truss rod for obvious reasons.

And then I am almost through the secret squirrel build. I had some of the mahogany left over from the SS build above. It got it's first sealer coats this week and is looking wicked. There is no pigment added to the sealer and it's nailed the Gibson brown. It's going to a special mate so I can't show it all at this stage so just a teaser for now.

><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Re: Latest Builds

Post by drbass » 07 Apr 2018, 17:28

Should have put on a tort pickguard as well, Blaine.

Looks fantastic, would love to hear it, particularly because: Noll (the board? Well, strings are metal, frets are metal, so what’s the big deal?😉).

So much good stuff coming out of Croydon atm (and from other places as well), incredible!!

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 07 Apr 2018, 18:12

drbass wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 17:28
Should have put on a tort pickguard as well, Blaine.
Tort is too traditional for this :D

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 07 Apr 2018, 20:03

Great work Blaine! Would love to hear that fretless one day, although without lines I think someone other than myself will need to play it :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 07 Apr 2018, 23:27

Classic5 wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 20:03
Great work Blaine! Would love to hear that fretless one day, although without lines I think someone other than myself will need to play it :thumbup:
Lines are over rated :lol:

This one has been in the works for a while so I’m very happy to see your concept come to life. Now I’d just like to hear it. Congratulations on the build

basshack

Post by basshack » 26 Apr 2018, 23:05

The last project got shipped today so I'll be able to put up a couple of pictures next week but in the mean time I started the next one.

So branching out a little for a friend who wants a Ukulele. To make things a little easier I brought the Stewmack tenor kit so I could avoid having to make a form and bend up the sides. It's quite a nice little kit as it works out, great value for the price too. You get everything you need and the build quality is very good.

I've augmented the kit with QLD Maple back and front, upgraded the tuners to Waverley Friction Tuners, changed out the fretboard for an Ebony one, added an ebony veneer to the peg head which means I'll also have to make a new bridge. I've brought some nice inlays and a rosette from Luthier Supplies and some binding for the top edge and rear joint, called a zipper, to make it pretty.

The kit box with the extras from Luthier Supplies

The Maple for the top

The Maple for the bottom

The sides in the simple form being glued up

The sides with the neck showing the veneer of ebony

Brace gluing for the back

The peg monster for the gluing of the kerfling round the inside of the body.

I've also made and slotted the ebony fretboard and will be putting the inlays and frets in tomorrow hopefully. Need to wait on a tool to come in to do the sound hole and rosette inlay hole before I can do the bracing on the top. But it's coming together quite quickly.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 27 Apr 2018, 09:45

Let me get this straight Blaine. You purchased a kit and then changed out almost all the parts :lol:

This is going to look terrific when it's done. You certainly know how to branch out with basses, guitars, violins and now a Ukulele. Nice! :cool:

Oh yeah....and can we have a demo please when it's done. :popcorn:

basshack

Post by basshack » 27 Apr 2018, 12:46

Umm yep! I only wanted the sides pre bent. The lady I’m building for wanted something different than what she has already so yes new bits.

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 27 Apr 2018, 21:26

Looking good been too long between build posts

basshack

Post by basshack » 27 Apr 2018, 23:53

All will be revealed soon Pete.

basshack

Post by basshack » 23 May 2018, 19:03

Been hitting the shop a lot recently so things have progressed with the Uke build and I've started a new bass build.

So I cut a rosette into the top using a fiddly circle cutter. Not happy with the fit but with some ebony mixed into the glue it came up ok.

Put the inlays into the fretboard after cutting slots by hand! Not to fear it comes up ok with the frets put in but not happy a couple of the inlays moved out of centre.

Glued the back to the sides

Made a new bridge to match the ebony headstock and fretboard.

Bound the top and bottom with tort binding. The joint in the bottom and where the neck joins the body also get bound too a little later.

Clamp the neck in place. Has to be clamped in multiple dimensions. Funnily we got it all together and realised that we didn't have any reference point to judge proper placement. Extended the lines from the sides of the neck down the body and measured from the centre outwards and we were less than 0.5mm off. Great guess work.

hanging up after the first of a few satin coats

When the paint process is done the bridge is located, the paint stripped from that area and it's glued in. Then the pick up is put in and the nut and bridge saddle are inserted and she's ready to go to the new owner.

basshack

Post by basshack » 23 May 2018, 19:16

And so with the Uke almost done it was time to start the next one.

I was going to do a kit harp again. I brought one for Sharon for Xmas a few years back but I sold my RA Mouse last week and I am going to miss it but figured that I could come pretty close to building something similar or at least try to come close. Rob does a really good job of building a quality instrument.

So off to the Australian Luthier Supplies, Stewmac, Bass Centre and Matthews Timber for the bits and pieces.

Vic Mountain Ash body, Walnut top, QLD Maple Neck, Gidgee fretboard and headstock blank.

the rough body shape. Double cut rather than a single but a single is on the books for the next one.

Routed for an "F" hole and some weight reduction of the body while I was there. Will be doing the control cavity later on.

The body got a forearm contour and as I am not a fan of exposing the body wood as the thin top wood is cut away the solution is to bend the top around the contour. The easiest way to do this is with a vacuum bag.

This is the head stock shape I have come up with from the mechanics necessary to get the tuners in the right place. The timber above is 3 necks worth of blanks for the next builds. Matthews don't sell small lots of timber... sad that.

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 May 2018, 19:18

Looking great, Blaine.

Are you in on Friday? If yes I’ll bring the YOLO bass and a couple of subdued top options (I “may” have a couple :) ).

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

basshack

Post by basshack » 23 May 2018, 20:15

yes but I have to go by 2pm.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 23 May 2018, 20:50

Nice work Blaine, the Uke is looking terrific and can't wait to see the mouse come together. Gee you've done a lot of work in a relatively short space of time. :cool: