Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
Post Reply
User avatar
swalexbass
Posts: 70
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 01:08
Location: Sydney

Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Post by swalexbass » 14 Jan 2018, 11:56

As title says. I’m thinking of trading one of my basses for a lined fretless bass which I like everything about it except the fact that it’s fretless (no hate against fretless basses, just my personal preference :)). Anyone know reliable luthiers out there who can get this done? And also how much it would cost?

Thanks folks!
Basses: F Bass VF5 Custom Sadowsky NYC Will Lee 5 Yamaha BBNE2 Nathan East Signature Model
MTD USA Saratoga 5 Fender American Standard Jazz V Schecter Diamond Series Deluxe-4
Amp: Bergantino Forte
Cabinet: Bergantino HDN212

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2288
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Post by BazzBass » 14 Jan 2018, 12:01

if it's a common brand like Fender, maybe someone here would like to swap necks or bass with you, seems a shame to turn a fretless into fretted when so many of us wouldn't mind trying going the other way
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

User avatar
swalexbass
Posts: 70
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 01:08
Location: Sydney

Re: Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Post by swalexbass » 14 Jan 2018, 13:56

BazzBass wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 12:01
if it's a common brand like Fender, maybe someone here would like to swap necks or bass with you, seems a shame to turn a fretless into fretted when so many of us wouldn't mind trying going the other way
Yeah, unfortunately its an MTD and i doubt i can trade necks with someone else ><

Its just that if this bass was fretted it’d have my dream specs, but yeah :/
Basses: F Bass VF5 Custom Sadowsky NYC Will Lee 5 Yamaha BBNE2 Nathan East Signature Model
MTD USA Saratoga 5 Fender American Standard Jazz V Schecter Diamond Series Deluxe-4
Amp: Bergantino Forte
Cabinet: Bergantino HDN212

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2288
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Post by BazzBass » 14 Jan 2018, 14:48

ahah I get it. One of the luthiers on here would have a jig ready to go I reckon. good luck, and don't forget the before and after pics :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

User avatar
slashin_velvet
Posts: 1003
Joined: 13 Mar 2009, 10:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Post by slashin_velvet » 14 Jan 2018, 18:43

swalexbass wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 11:56
As title says. I’m thinking of trading one of my basses for a lined fretless bass which I like everything about it except the fact that it’s fretless (no hate against fretless basses, just my personal preference :)). Anyone know reliable luthiers out there who can get this done? And also how much it would cost?

Thanks folks!
I'd think it's doable. I'm not game to do it myself, but with the lines, at least there's a clear cutting point. You'll also need to replace the nut most likely as fretless usually have a deeper slotted nut as there are no frets to sit above.

Challenges I foresee:
- neck isn't square, so cutting fret slots becomes a little more fiddly and harder to use a jig.
- material used to fill the slots being difficult to cut (this would vary brand to brand and not sure what they use on MTD)
- new nut
- bridge height adjustments (I assume the bridges are the same for fretted and fretless so this isn't likely to be an issue....)

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 3348
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Post by narcdor » 15 Jan 2018, 09:29

Can be done for sure. This is the way I cut the slots for my first build by hand, after gluing on the fretboard and radius sand. Takes more time than a jig and a little more nerve wracking to do but that’s about it.

Only negative is the side markers will be lined up on the fret not in the middle of each fret like most other fretted basses.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

User avatar
slashin_velvet
Posts: 1003
Joined: 13 Mar 2009, 10:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Post by slashin_velvet » 15 Jan 2018, 09:55

narcdor wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 09:29
Can be done for sure. This is the way I cut the slots for my first build by hand, after gluing on the fretboard and radius sand. Takes more time than a jig and a little more nerve wracking to do but that’s about it.

Only negative is the side markers will be lined up on the fret not in the middle of each fret like most other fretted basses.
With a lot of lined fretless basses the dots are in the usual position as you can see the line on the side so this probably wont be an issue either.

User avatar
swalexbass
Posts: 70
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 01:08
Location: Sydney

Re: Fretting a Lined Fretless Bass?

Post by swalexbass » 15 Jan 2018, 15:23

Thanks for all your feedback guys! I had a choice to trade one of my basses with a fretless MTD 535-24 and then getting a fret job done, or a Ken Smth White Tiger. Went for the latter, even though I’m an MTD fanboy. Still not complaining. :)
Basses: F Bass VF5 Custom Sadowsky NYC Will Lee 5 Yamaha BBNE2 Nathan East Signature Model
MTD USA Saratoga 5 Fender American Standard Jazz V Schecter Diamond Series Deluxe-4
Amp: Bergantino Forte
Cabinet: Bergantino HDN212

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests