Having the strap nut on the back of the bass?

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
Veldar

Having the strap nut on the back of the bass?

Post by Veldar » 16 Dec 2017, 09:39

Hey everyone,

For the last 3 or 4 years my main bass has been a Bongo 6 string, over the last year however I've been pulling the strap as high as I can go and I still feel like I want it higher. Other bassists that play similarly to be like Thundercat seems to have the strap on the back of the body. Now I probably go a bit more wild on the stage than they do but I was think of adding it on my bass and trying it out to see if it helps with the weight distribution and general feel of my bass.

Any thoughts everyone?

Cheers, Sam.
Originally this was where all the people I've sold/gotten gear from that went well, but I haven't met a bad person yet :D

Thanks to giggawazza for the Bongo.

Wrenn

Re: Having the strap nut on the back of the bass?

Post by Wrenn » 16 Dec 2017, 10:00

You mean at the back of the top horn of the body?

I did it on my P-bass before and I didn't like it, so there's a strap pin hole left there. Reson for not liking it? IMO It doesn't help with the weight distribution, looks a bit weird and of course lowers the instrument's value.

If you really wanna try it, try taping a string where your strap pin will be and attach your strap there, at least that way you won't be drilling a hole in your instrument.

Try buying a wide strap, I recommend at least 5 inches wide because it just stays in your shoulder and doesn't move about.

:2c:
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

Veldar

Post by Veldar » 16 Dec 2017, 10:40

I was planning on putting it more towards the neck rather than just moving it from where it is to the side of where it is.
Originally this was where all the people I've sold/gotten gear from that went well, but I haven't met a bad person yet :D

Thanks to giggawazza for the Bongo.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 16 Dec 2017, 10:53

Still not sure what you mean exactly, but I've done this arrangement on the back of two guitars now. I was inspired by Jens Ritter's and Sheldon Dingwall's efforts to get better balance. It does work well.

Last edited by slowlearner on 16 Dec 2017, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

drbass

Post by drbass » 16 Dec 2017, 14:10

Done the same as Pete (also Dingwall-inspired) on a few builds and find it helps with balance and brings in those “far away” money frets which means my left arm and hand are much more relaxed.

Regards,
Michael

P.S.: used Dunlop Flushmouts.
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 16 Dec 2017, 16:05

My Stambaugh fretless has it and I’ve done it on two builds . If it makes it more playable for you don’t see how it could be seen as the wrong way to go

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 16 Dec 2017, 16:15

You could easily use one of the neck bolts to attach the strap to see how it feels from the neck end.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic
Mesa Walkbout, O'Neill B15-100 (B15-N clone), MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115, Ampeg Repro B15E

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 18 Dec 2017, 09:05

^I'm sure I've seen a few basses with a strap-pillar attached on a neck bolt - may need to (carefully) drill out the pillar to accept the larger neck-screw.
If by more toward neck, you mean on the back of the neck-joint; then yes it is a typical strap-mount position, but I've found it makes the bass tip forward away from me so it's harder to see the fingerboard. On a T-bird I fixed it by putting the bridge end of the strap across the face of the back corner, thus preventing the bass from tipping forward.
I see..............basses!

Ben B

Post by Ben B » 18 Dec 2017, 16:24

I did it with one of the neck bolts on my Jackson kellybird (thunderbird shape) by machining down one of the screw heads slightly so it would fit into my strap-lock reciever, and then a little epoxy glue in the hole. i didnt really want to drill anything into the body itself, and figured if it didn't work, id just have to replace the neck screws.

Fixed the neck dive issues, but also raised it and centred it a lot more on my body.
Fender MIM Jazz - 1 x Black/1 x Oly white
Jackson Ellefson CBXV - 1 x Black/1 x silver
ESP GC04 x2
1994 EBMM Stingray 4
Ibanez SRFF805
Ibanez SR655
Peavey VB3/Peavey VB810
Peavey Max 115 combo
Line 6 Wireless/Sansamp BDDI/TC Electronics PT3