Defretting

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
thorne_92

Defretting

Post by thorne_92 » 24 Nov 2017, 13:40

Hey guys,
I have a fender V that I rarely play and am looking at getting defretted. Anyone know someone in Sydney who can do this?
Also is there anyone who has done this and knows a rough cost and timeframe this would take?
Thanks guys
Fender jazz V, Marco bass TFL 5
Aguilar th500, EB custom 2x12
Tu-2 - MXR bass octave deluxe - wooly mammoth - swollen pickle - sansamp

BazzBass

Re: Defretting

Post by BazzBass » 24 Nov 2017, 14:07

Jaco did it in one drunken night :)

soz, couldn't resist
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

thorne_92

Post by thorne_92 » 24 Nov 2017, 15:10

BazzBass wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 14:07
Jaco did it in one drunken night :)

soz, couldn't resist
haha no way I'd trust myself

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 24 Nov 2017, 15:49

thorne_92 wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 13:40
Hey guys,
I have a fender V that I rarely play and am looking at getting defretted. Anyone know someone in Sydney who can do this?
Also is there anyone who has done this and knows a rough cost and timeframe this would take?
Thanks guys
It totally depends on what you want the fingerboard finished with afterwards. Oiled = easy, superglue = a bit more complex, epoxy = hardwork.

Obviously Matt from the Salt Mine can do it easily. So can Jeff Mallia or any other decent luthier.

It's not a long or hard job. I'd reckon a week. Can't comment on price. I could easily do it in 2 days, but I've got enough projects as is.

P.s. there are endless how to's about this on Talkbass and probably youtube. If you can use any tools, you could easily do it yourself.

Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 24 Nov 2017, 20:09

It will cost a lot of money and devalue your bass. I would recommend selling it a buying a fretless. Or at least look at getting an aftermarket neck like a Warmoth. I suspect it will work out cheaper I have 2 Warmoth fretless necks and really like them. Get them to put fretlines and a nut on this and you should be good to go. A wipe on danish oil etc for the maple on the neck and swap your own tuners across and you are all good - http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/Showcas ... hfvXtLXb3g

thorne_92

Post by thorne_92 » 25 Nov 2017, 10:21

NotTheFish wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 20:09
It will cost a lot of money and devalue your bass. I would recommend selling it a buying a fretless. Or at least look at getting an aftermarket neck like a Warmoth. I suspect it will work out cheaper I have 2 Warmoth fretless necks and really like them. Get them to put fretlines and a nut on this and you should be good to go. A wipe on danish oil etc for the maple on the neck and swap your own tuners across and you are all good - http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/Showcas ... hfvXtLXb3g
Good point mate, might try and trade as a first option and defret as a second. Thanks for the replies guys!

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 25 Nov 2017, 13:11

Just remember it'll be AU$400 before it's landed. Aside of that, I reckon it is a pretty great option.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 27 Nov 2017, 21:21

Go and see Matt at saltmine. He did a fantastic job on my thumb bass after the pre pious owner defretted it badly.
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

billybass

Post by billybass » 30 Nov 2017, 19:13

Fretless basses are quite a specialty instrument.
Are you going to use Flatwound, Roundwound, Halfround, Ribbon strings?
If you use flat wounds, you may not need to have a protective finish on the fingerboard, it sounds duller, more double bassish, but don't expect it to sound like a double bass.
If you use roundwounds, you may need to get some sort of coating on the fingerboard, the strings tend to bite into the wood, that is more the Jaco thing, bright and harmonics ring out.
For the bass to play properly all my fretless basses have had work done to level the fingerboard to play the way you want.
Then the work really begins, practising to play in tune.
Good luck BillyBass

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 01 Dec 2017, 06:35

agree with ^.
You really have to pay attention to your finger placement on a fretless, or you will be out. It will make you a better player on a fretted bass though.
Note that if you become hooked on the fretless, and decide to buy more of them, a defretted bass will have the dots in a different spot to an originally fretless bass.
On a fretted bass, the dots on frets 3,5,7,9 and 12 etc are half way between the frets, on a fretless, they should be where the actual note is, given that the intonation of the instrument is set correctly.
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

billybass

Post by billybass » 01 Dec 2017, 12:42

I actually have a Tune fretless bass for sale in the Classified ads, it is set up with thomastic flat wound strings, please have a look, Cheers BillyBass