Is this repairable?

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
simonm2000

Is this repairable?

Post by simonm2000 » 02 Nov 2017, 11:14

Hey peeps,
Got this bass just recently and I thought I was getting a good deal, turns out the top looks pretty rooted. How bad is this? Is it repairable? Would you keep it?
Thanks in advance :)

slashin_velvet

Re: Is this repairable?

Post by slashin_velvet » 02 Nov 2017, 12:01

Take all the electronics and hardware off. Completely sand back and refinish with an oil or lacquer.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 02 Nov 2017, 12:45

Nah.... I call that MOJO.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 02 Nov 2017, 12:47

Sure, anything is repairable with the right time/money/skills. Was the good deal something you would have taken knowing about the problem? If not send it back.
B: Fender Mustang, Narcdor Precision, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Ampeg Repro 15

simonm2000

Post by simonm2000 » 02 Nov 2017, 13:26

TBH I probably would have talked myself out of it if I had have known about the damage before I bought it. I might have a talk with someone who can do the work before I send it back. I'll consult google(and the forums) to try and find someone in QLD, Who's the best in Australia for this kinda work??

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 02 Nov 2017, 13:49

I wouldn't necessarily restrict it to luthiers - a furniture restoration place or even a good cabinet maker might be able to repair it. Guess it depends on whether you're able to remove the hardware or not i guess.

Send "Phil" (Mailloux) the site owner, or "David Searle Guitars" a PM for some guidance.

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 02 Nov 2017, 14:35

While you're investigating fixing it, let the seller know straight away you're not happy with the finish and that it wasn't disclosed. The longer you take to tell the seller the more doubt it creates about whether the finish was like that before it left the seller.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 02 Nov 2017, 14:35

It isn't uncommon for lacquers to 'check' as they age. Particularly the older types like nitrocellulose (which some people think sound better and a lot of people prefer the feel of). Nitrocellulose is often used on boutique or custom instruments too. If you paid a lot of money, thinking you were getting a mint condition bass or you really hate the way it looks, then I definitely get your concern. If it isn't making it difficult or uncomfortable to play and you aren't repelled by looking at it, then it shouldn't cause any issues. Personally I like an instrument that has aged naturally and gracefully.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 02 Nov 2017, 15:32

aphekgreg wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 14:35
It isn't uncommon for lacquers to 'check' as they age. Particularly the older types like nitrocellulose (which some people think sound better and a lot of people prefer the feel of). Nitrocellulose is often used on boutique or custom instruments too. If you paid a lot of money, thinking you were getting a mint condition bass or you really hate the way it looks, then I definitely get your concern. If it isn't making it difficult or uncomfortable to play and you aren't repelled by looking at it, then it shouldn't cause any issues. Personally I like an instrument that has aged naturally and gracefully.
I was under the impression that this is correct for older instruments, but newer finishes have a stabiliser of some sort in them to prevent checking?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 02 Nov 2017, 16:49

Petebass wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 15:32
aphekgreg wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 14:35
I was under the impression that this is correct for older instruments, but newer finishes have a stabiliser of some sort in them to prevent checking?
I'm not an expert on lacquer, but I have heard that too. There must be different types though, as the stuff they use before they relic a finish, seems to be extra soft and ages very quickly.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

simonm2000

Post by simonm2000 » 03 Nov 2017, 00:47

Thanks for your reply's guys I sent Mike @ MTD an email and they replied super quick. They charge $500USD for refinish. I'll probably return it to seller.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 03 Nov 2017, 06:39

Without asking how old the bass is etc, it's hard to tell. However, that looks odd to me. Like it's heat damaged or similar. Seems too new to have that sort of the checking.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 03 Nov 2017, 11:43

simonm2000 wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 00:47
Thanks for your reply's guys I sent Mike @ MTD an email and they replied super quick. They charge $500USD for refinish. I'll probably return it to seller.
Got your email, I don't personally do refinishes but some of the local guys that do it typically charge around $600 so its definitely a big expense. You're probably best to return it to the seller if you don't want to invest that much in it.

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 03 Nov 2017, 16:20

Can I ask: what is it, how much was it, which state is it located. I might be interested in refinishing it myself if the deal is suitable enough - been looking at getting an MTD for a while.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 03 Nov 2017, 17:39

It looks like it could be an MTD Z5, but it's hard to tell from those pics.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546