slashin_velvet's 1st full build

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
slashin_velvet

Re: slashin_velvet's 1st full build

Post by slashin_velvet » 13 Dec 2017, 08:39

Classic5 wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 20:43
Love the camphor laurel top :cool:
Thanks. The stuff is a dream to work with from a scent perspective, and actually carves out really well. I've ditched the idea of a veneer top because I like it how it is at the moment.

Thanks for the offer acebass. If I get really sick of working by hand, I'll get in touch.

acebass

Post by acebass » 13 Dec 2017, 14:02

My sander will alleviate the sickness,you'll have it done in 10 mins mate

Let me know
1978 P
1980 Veillette Citron VCII
1983 JV P Bass 62 RI
2001 USA J EMG's J-Retro Sims LEDs
2005 Stingray HH maple
2006 Mex Lined fretless J
Gamba upright, ply, affectionately known as Hell's Belle, K&K
Violin Upright - Hybrid, K&K Rockabilly

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 04 Jan 2018, 09:59

Got around to doing a fair bit of work over the break.

I hand carved a pepper mill for my wife out of Merbau that I was originally doing some experiments on:
And that taught me a hell of a lot about using a manual drill press and hogging out material with forstner bits and shaping by hand without a lathe.

I got to shaping and rounding over the body wood. I've done a tummy cut and forearm contour.....might end up going a bit more aggressive on the shape in the long run, but am happy with this as a starting point.

I don't have any photos of the neck blank, but I've got a 5 piece neck glued up and I'm planing that down to a usable size. I've changed my approach on the headstock - I think I'm going to use the offcut of spotted gum and use a scarf joint to bring all that together. I'll then veneer the top of the headstock with the same wood as the body - I started handcutting those out of the offcuts of the body wood. I'll probably use one for the controls cover too.

drbass

Post by drbass » 04 Jan 2018, 10:16

LOVE the curvaceous body shape! And I have to say, using a handsaw to get started with veneer bits is something I have contemplated but was never brave enough to do (that's where the MSGM workshop with bandsaws and thicknessers comes in super-handy!!).

Over the 10 or so builds I've done I've come to realise that it's easier to rout neck pocket and pickup routs before starting with the body shaping, possibly even before cutting out the rough shape - the templates are just that little bit more secure.

Please put up pics of the neck, very interested to see that.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 04 Jan 2018, 13:06

drbass wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 10:16
LOVE the curvaceous body shape! And I have to say, using a handsaw to get started with veneer bits is something I have contemplated but was never brave enough to do (that's where the MSGM workshop with bandsaws and thicknessers comes in super-handy!!).

Over the 10 or so builds I've done I've come to realise that it's easier to rout neck pocket and pickup routs before starting with the body shaping, possibly even before cutting out the rough shape - the templates are just that little bit more secure.

Please put up pics of the neck, very interested to see that.

Regards,
Michael
I agree that routing pre-shaping is probably the safer bet.....I just got frustrated working on the neck which requires insane precision beyond my current ability, so moved onto the body where progress is more easily observable.

Handcutting the veneers took a bit of patience - I marked out a rough line to follow and will have to smooth/sand/plane the cut side when I get to needing the material. I need to get some double sided tape.

I'll try and take a snap of the neck tonight - but I'm a bit embarrassed to share that here given how good everyone else's builds are.

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 04 Jan 2018, 21:31

Heres that neck...still needs a lot of tlc.

So it's a core of 28mm Qld maple. Then 15mm of spotted gum either side, and then roughly 10mm of Qld maple again on the outside.

basshack

Post by basshack » 04 Jan 2018, 22:21

slashin_velvet wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 13:06
I'll try and take a snap of the neck tonight - but I'm a bit embarrassed to share that here given how good everyone else's builds are.
We all started somewhere so there is no need to feel embarrassed. The saying around the shop is that a fix is only going to take 30 minutes and if it can't be fixed then it's a "design feature". You wouldn't believe how good David and Rob are at repairing our blunders or stepping in just in time. For what it's worth I think your doing really well and looking forward to see the finished product.
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 05 Jan 2018, 09:15

basshack wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 22:21
We all started somewhere so there is no need to feel embarrassed. The saying around the shop is that a fix is only going to take 30 minutes and if it can't be fixed then it's a "design feature". You wouldn't believe how good David and Rob are at repairing our blunders or stepping in just in time. For what it's worth I think your doing really well and looking forward to see the finished product.
Thanks. I guess I just find the free carving of the body gives instant results, whereas the neck needs near perfection and precision - and with hand tools, this is time consuming and frustrating. Everytime I get the face of the neck blank near flat, I get some tearout on the spotted gum, and have to nearly start again. You can see the glue seams on the neck blank. Its nearly flat, but I'd prefer it be flawless - I'm a bit of a perfectionist like that.....I'm just hopeful it doesn't make it unusable.

basshack

Post by basshack » 05 Jan 2018, 12:13

You'll get that when using different woods, the nature of the beast unfortunately, with the different grain directions. Try taking the blade of the plane down as far as you can so that it's not so aggressive, = less tear. Then when you are close switch to a long sanding block for the last little bit if you must. It really doesn't have to be perfectly flat, the glue will take up any small voids between it and the fretboard without issue.
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 14 Jan 2018, 20:06

Slowly Slowly as she goes I'm making progress.

Scarf joint Sanding flat

Glueing and clamping

The joint

Top side joint

Mock headstock veneer with design, sitting on the headstock blank with fretboard laid next to it.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 14 Jan 2018, 20:22

Looking good :cool:
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."