Custom Made Bass Electronics

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
PapaBear

Custom Made Bass Electronics

Post by PapaBear » 30 Jun 2017, 13:42

Hi all,

I'm kind of new to this forum in that I don't post often, but also, I've been a lurker for a very long time.

I'm an electronics engineer by profession, and have been playing bass for about 20 years. I'm in the process of making my own custom electronics for a few of my basses and was wondering whether any of you guys are interested in the idea of custom made electronics (specifically an on-board active pre) for your own projects?

I'm currently working on a prototype - and obviously it will take some time to produce it. But looking at things like the Audere, John East, Bart etc etc I noticed that no one is really doing such a thing as an active preamp in Australia - so I'd thought I'd canvass the idea.

Would you try something made by a local? and if so ...

What features would you like to see in a preamp?

Any advice or feedback is welcome :)

Thanks for reading!

BazzBass

Re: Custom Made Bass Electronics

Post by BazzBass » 30 Jun 2017, 14:56

good initiative.

I tell you what I'd buy, a loaded Jazz bass control plate with decent pots :)

I know there's one on this forum but it needs a mod to the bass which I don't wanna do
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

cleary

Post by cleary » 30 Jun 2017, 15:01

Hey welcome :)

There's a few guys here doing custom built stuff, I know bassbass does custom preamp building.

As for feature requests, what about the ability to blend your active and passive signals?
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 30 Jun 2017, 15:10

I'm generally a passive electronics guy, but with our dollar in the toilet for the foreseeable future, anything local and good is pretty great. Love to see your ideas. :)

What would be cool?
a. A 1 pot (stacked knobs), stingray style, 2 band preamp that would just replace your passive tone dial. That would be something easily dropped into a lot of projects.
b. A quick and easy 1 knob, multiple PU selector that included coil tapping, series/parallel, etc.
c. A really good piezo buffer/blend circuit with simple controls.

I guess I'm thinking easily installed modules that most people could install with just an iron and a good diagram.
Last edited by slowlearner on 30 Jun 2017, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

PapaBear

Post by PapaBear » 30 Jun 2017, 15:17

Thanks for the welcome guys!

@BazzBass - thanks for the feedback, let me ask though, would you want that active or passive only? I have designed something that works exactly like a traditional tone pot (identical in fact) but uses active components to buffer each pickup - this in effect isolates the pickups from each other, and gives you a more meaningful blend between them. I did it for a friend with a Jazz with top mount bracket/pots - so it was a small circuit board mounted to a top plate (I reused his).

@cleary - That's a fantastic idea! I believe that the John East J-Tone pre does something like that, but I do love the idea. The trick would be to match the active and passive signal levels, which I think is very doable.

@slowlearner - thanks mate, I'd really love to get something going :)

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 30 Jun 2017, 15:22

Stupid me, just reread your post. I've added some ideas to my original post.

cleary

Post by cleary » 30 Jun 2017, 16:24

slowlearner wrote:...
b. A quick and easy 1 knob, multiple PU selector that included coil tapping, series/parallel, etc.
viewtopic.php?p=233011#p233011

FWIW, it didn't last long in my bass, I've still got the rotary dial if you're interested?
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

drbass

Post by drbass » 30 Jun 2017, 17:03

Hi,

I've been building for a little while with an eye on selling basses down the track. Currently using either Glockenklang or Nordstrand pres but would be quite interested in something local.

No concrete ideas just yet, but having said that I like a) simplicity and b) no coloration in the neutral position. Will have a think, might send you a PM in the next couple of days.

Oh, and welcome :) .

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 30 Jun 2017, 17:06

Check out the ACG EQ01 preamp if you want to get into filter based EQs.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 30 Jun 2017, 17:12

Given that I'm currently considering the East preamp for one of my Stingrays and counting my pennies, if there was something like this made locally I would choose the local product every day.
Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 30 Jun 2017, 17:16

How about the option of choosing your own centre frequencies? Or if that's too specific, have a couple of choices. For example, there's far too many preamps on the market that have bass centred at 40Hz, too low to be useful IMO. Maybe offer one at 40Hz and another at 80Hz? Then do something similar for mid and treble frequencies.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 30 Jun 2017, 19:39

I prefer passive at the moment.

Why is everyone welcoming you? you joined in 2010 lol, but welcome anyway :)

EDIT oh I see, you haven't posted in ages, so really it's welcome back, kotter :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 30 Jun 2017, 20:20

cleary wrote:
slowlearner wrote:...
viewtopic.php?p=233011#p233011

FWIW, it didn't last long in my bass, I've still got the rotary dial if you're interested?
Bahaha! Fair enough. :)

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 01 Jul 2017, 08:13

If you can crack Alembics Q control filter and AXY pickups which sound incredible

That setup is $1100USD and best I can tell there is nothing on the market that even comes close in the way it gives girth to your tone. Suppose the Wal setup does similar thing never played one so not sure. Both seem to be black magic

I'd say you crack either of those at a reasonable price point you'll have a marketable product

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 01 Jul 2017, 16:43

SneakyJak wrote:If you can crack Alembics Q control filter and AXY pickups which sound incredible

That setup is $1100USD and best I can tell there is nothing on the market that even comes close in the way it gives girth to your tone. Suppose the Wal setup does similar thing never played one so not sure. Both seem to be black magic

I'd say you crack either of those at a reasonable price point you'll have a marketable product

What he said :yep
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."