Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
Classic5

Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 13 May 2017, 19:13

Well, it's taken a while to get to this stage, but it's gonna happen. YES.....I'm about to build an entire bass at a fantastic place called....you guessed it..."The Melbourne School of Guitar Making". What a gem of a place :yep

The build brief has changed several times already and I'm sure it will evolve as
we move forward.

I was originally planning on a standard 4 string jazz bass, solid colour, bound neck with dots. Why reinvent the wheel and it would teach me how to build a bass from start to finish. It's now changed slightly....still basically a jazz bass but the body will now look like something this:

Last edited by Classic5 on 12 Nov 2017, 15:12, edited 3 times in total.
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

Classic5

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 13 May 2017, 19:23

I'm going with alder for the body as there's plenty of it in the workshop and it's quite light, but will go with a northern ash top with some distinct figuring that will stand out when filled with a darker colour.

The piece that we split open in the workshop today has two distinct looks, not 100% sure which one to go with yet but I'm currently favouring the first as the contrast between dark and light is greater, or maybe the 2nd as it looks more interesting :hmm . I was going to go with a pickguard initially but am starting to change my mind about that as it would cover up so much of that nice grain.

First Option

Second Option
Last edited by Classic5 on 13 May 2017, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 13 May 2017, 19:35

The alder body has been split, planed and is currently glued and clamped together:

Planing the alder ends:

Applying the glue

Clamped up and drying
Last edited by Classic5 on 22 Jul 2017, 23:02, edited 8 times in total.

drbass

Post by drbass » 13 May 2017, 19:42

And Ivan's off.

All looking good, Ivan, and nothing unusual about plans changing. But no pickguard? Gee, what is wrong with you? :)

Are you planning on chambering the body, or happy to just say "light alder"?

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 13 May 2017, 19:50

drbass wrote: Are you planning on chambering the body, or happy to just say "light alder"?

Regards,
Michael
Not 100% sure but the alder may be light enough to leave without chambering. Yet to make a final decision on that.

The northern ash is just amazing. Each time you run it through the thicknesser the grain pattern seems to change so much. You really never know what you're going to end up with. David has a very good eye for what will and won't work. You never feel rushed to make a decision.

drbass

Post by drbass » 13 May 2017, 21:20

Classic5 wrote:
drbass wrote: Are you planning on chambering the body, or happy to just say "light alder"?

Regards,
Michael
Not 100% sure but the alder may be light enough to leave without chambering. Yet to make a final decision on that.

The northern ash is just amazing. Each time you run it through the thicknesser the grain pattern seems to change so much. You really never know what you're going to end up with. David has a very good eye for what will and won't work. You never feel rushed to make a decision.
Just make the body a little thinner overall - 38 mm is plenty thick ;) .

I've been doing a fair bit of drilling (almost done with the holes on the Manta) and about 30 minutes of sanding (OK, maybe a little more than that). Yes, the ash is quite amazing like that, but it's also a bit of a pain when sanding - you'll see :) .

Looking forward to seeing this move along. You'll have it ready by the next GTG in July, no doubt.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 13 May 2017, 21:41

drbass wrote: Looking forward to seeing this move along. You'll have it ready by the next GTG in July, no doubt........
.......sure thing, maybe by July 2018 :lol:

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 13 May 2017, 21:48

I look forward to watching this build. What pickups will you choose ?

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 13 May 2017, 22:14

NotTheFish wrote:I look forward to watching this build. What pickups will you choose ?
Hey Jeremy, at this stage I'm probably going to go with the Nordstrand nj4se pickups I bought recently from maxgroover. I'd love a couple of Delano Xtender pickups but they are sooooo expensive. Lots of choices thats for sure. I should really stick with the original brief......being a jazz bass.

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 13 May 2017, 22:20

The good thing with Fender clones is that it is so easy to swap parts like pickups if something else comes along. You Melbournians are so lucky to have this great place to build basses.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 13 May 2017, 22:39

Yes yes and more yes! Go for it
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

cackland

Post by cackland » 14 May 2017, 18:10

Looks great!
Subscribed!
Brubaker KXB Extreme 5, Lakland 5594, Sadowsky Metro MS5, Stingray 5, Yamaha TRB6P, West Fretless 5, Fender RW J, NS WAV4
Bergantino B|Amp, Epifani UL502C,
Bergantino AE212, AE112

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 15 May 2017, 16:59

Not surprisingly I kind of disagree with evolving desgin. Some things sure, depth of belly cut or forearm no worries but there is I think a number of parts that need to be fixed and thought out ahead of time. Not to say you aren't I'm just stating the obvious

Design is a little Fodera to my eyes

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 15 May 2017, 18:25

SneakyJak wrote:Not surprisingly I kind of disagree with evolving desgin. Some things sure, depth of belly cut or forearm no worries but there is I think a number of parts that need to be fixed and thought out ahead of time. Not to say you aren't I'm just stating the obvious

Design is a little Fodera to my eyes
I'm not trying to design a bass Pete....just want to get through a build from start to finish :lol:

Once I can do that then I might contemplate some inovation.....maybe.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 27 May 2017, 20:36

Well, I managed to find a nice length of American White Ash at Mathews Timber today. It had the grain pattern that I was initially looking for so I took it to the workshop and with the help of Rob & David managed to cut it to size and glue some pieces together. This will eventually be a 15mm top glued onto the Alder body.

Two options to choose from and enough wood left over for another top. These photo's are before running the pieces through the thicknesser.

Option 1

Option 2
Last edited by Classic5 on 27 May 2017, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.