Post by narcdor » 02 Jun 2018, 18:24

Hubba hubba!
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, MusicMan, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

cackland

Re: Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Post by cackland » 03 Jun 2018, 11:19

Incredible work Micheal, great grain in the wenge fingerboard!
MTD 535, Brubaker KXB Extreme 5, Lakland 5594, Sadowsky Metro MS5, Stingray 5, Yamaha TRB6P (For Sale), West Fretless 5, Fender RW J, NS WAV4
Bergantino B|Amp, Epifani UL502C,
Bergantino AE212, AE112

drbass

Post by drbass » 03 Jun 2018, 18:43

Thanks, guys,

Appreciate the very kind comments.

Productive day today:

Nice when it isn't windy ;) .

Used my trim router to get the final body outline and started carving. Interesting with the neck always being in the way - one has to be very careful not to get the attack angle of the rasp wrong. Anyway, about 20% there, front is about 80% there with the rasp, requires more filing and of course sanding. Back will take a while, a lot of material needs to be taken out for the tummy cut and the neck/body transition - I'll do that exactly like with the bolt-on basses. Couple of pix - disclaimer: colours are not representative of real life appearance or final appearance.

Here's a close-up (with lots of rasp marks - disregard) of the end of the neck. Clearly visible glue line there, something I need to work on:

Anyway, looks like this one will be pretty nice.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 03 Jun 2018, 19:27

Hooley dooley, your first neck through is looking great :cool:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 03 Jun 2018, 19:31

More like very very nice, I’m not sure how but you manage to keep outdoing yourself.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 03 Jun 2018, 19:43

narcdor wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 19:31
More like very very nice, I’m not sure how but you manage to keep outdoing yourself.
He's a mad genius you know. I'm starting to think about ordering a custom bass myself, before pricing goes through the roof :yep
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

Curto

Post by Curto » 04 Jun 2018, 10:36

Officially amazing Michael! How much time would you say you use in a week to work on your builds? Do you use a router on your edges or exclusively rasps for the rounding?
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 04 Jun 2018, 19:10

Thank you, guys,

And Ivan, you're cracking me up - you can build your own just as well.
Curto wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 10:36
Officially amazing Michael! How much time would you say you use in a week to work on your builds? Do you use a router on your edges or exclusively rasps for the rounding?
It's still a hobby (serious but still a hobby) so I work on the basses when I have time and feel like it. At the moment I'm going through a more active phase and spent probably 6-8 hours working hands-on last week. Sometimes there's only a little bit of prepping stuff, or working out measurements (and actually measuring and marking), and sometimes I don't do anything at all (that generally coincides with periods where I want to give a glued-up piece some time to "set").

I have used a round-over bit in previous builds but the neck-through is all hand-carved with rasps and files. The trim router is super-useful for the final shaping but the round-over bit doesn't really make a big difference. I find that there is no one constant radius on builds like the neck-through (or any other Kermit, really) - tighter around the end of the body to give the bridges some room, more open at the horns and the bottom part of the body, and of course pretty extreme for the tummy and forearm cuts so it's easier to just let it all develop as I remove material.
The Special Q was done with a round-over bit because it's much more uniform.

Once these two are gone I should have some cash to invest in better rasps and files since I use them quite extensively.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

Curto

Post by Curto » 05 Jun 2018, 15:33

Thanks for the info. I have two Dragon hand cut rasps from Stewmac which work well with very little chattering. Although I've nothing to compare them with.
Custom 32

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 05 Jun 2018, 16:52

drbass wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 19:10
Thank you, guys,

And Ivan, you're cracking me up - you can build your own just as well.
Curto wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 10:36
It's still a hobby (serious but still a hobby) so I work on the basses when I have time and feel like it. At the moment I'm going through a more active phase and spent probably 6-8 hours working hands-on last week. Sometimes there's only a little bit of prepping stuff, or working out measurements (and actually measuring and marking), and sometimes I don't do anything at all (that generally coincides with periods where I want to give a glued-up piece some time to "set").

I have used a round-over bit in previous builds but the neck-through is all hand-carved with rasps and files. The trim router is super-useful for the final shaping but the round-over bit doesn't really make a big difference. I find that there is no one constant radius on builds like the neck-through (or any other Kermit, really) - tighter around the end of the body to give the bridges some room, more open at the horns and the bottom part of the body, and of course pretty extreme for the tummy and forearm cuts so it's easier to just let it all develop as I remove material.
The Special Q was done with a round-over bit because it's much more uniform.

Once these two are gone I should have some cash to invest in better rasps and files since I use them quite extensively.

Regards,
Michael
Like a shinto rasp? Check this out
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/first- ... t-20647973

drbass

Post by drbass » 05 Jun 2018, 17:14

I've heard good things about the dragon rasps, and have been looking at the Shinto rasps as well.

ATM I'm using standard rasps and files from Bunnings (OK but leave rather deep grooves instead of a reasonably level surface). I also have a couple of the microplane thingies but again I find they're "groovy" rather than plane ... .

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 08 Jun 2018, 17:11

:useless:
I know. No time.

Removed what seemed a cubic metre of timber from the Kermit NT, at the transition from neck to body, and "refined" the round-overs. Also started routing out the electronics cavity - something happened (nothing bad, just a little aesthetic slip-up) but I'll have to take a pic so you'll have to wait). Also located (by careful measuring and aligning) the correct positions for the tuners and drilled pilot holes.
Installed side markers in the Special Q and tuner pilot holes as well.

That is all. Gig tonight, Sunday and Monday so probably not much happening with the builds (but who knows).

Regards,
Michael

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 08 Jun 2018, 23:45

Shinto saw rasps are the best. Saved me a lot of time on my hand carving.

I like that is double sided

drbass

Post by drbass » 09 Jun 2018, 17:28

Much more productive day today than expected.

Nickel-sprayed the pickup routs for the Special Q:
Before:

After:

Big holes in the headstock - always a little scary to drill these free-hand but worked out well. 16 mm spade bit, then the Dremel tool to bring the diameter up to 17 mm. Beautifully snug fit.

And the side markers. Not really happy with these: supposed to be 3 mm diameter but they seem to be just shy of that so instead of forcing the sticks into the holes hey just went in. Unfortunately nothing I can do:

Neck-through Kermit came along as well. Finished routing the electronics "cave" and applied a layer of superglue (getting a little paranoid wrt the stability of the timber). The body-neck transition is almost there, definitely much better than in the previous shots:

Whipped up a routing template for the tone block I'll mount the individual Hipshot Solos on:

And did the routing:

Don't worry, there's a little distortion through perspective, it's not as wonky as it looks. But yes, it's not straight - I'm anticipating the intonation adjustments to the saddles - having an angle of about 5 degrees gives me the biggest margin for all saddles.

And big holes in the headstock as well. These were drilled with a 14 mm spade bit and the tuners (3/8" rather than the 1/2" on the Special Q) fit perfectly the first time:

Should get the Special Q neck to a stage where I can put the frets in on Friday and then contemplate spraying (this one will be a satin nitro finish). Still have to position and drill the holes for the pots (a little apprehensive for that, not keen on drilling into that spalted maple) and the push-in inserts for the pickup screws.

That's all.

Regards,
Michael