Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
RedVee

Re: Future Builds - Maybe Random

Post by RedVee » 22 Jan 2018, 20:42

drbass wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 16:04
Curto wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:18
The ash and padauk contrast brilliantly. Have you noticed the tinkle sound a piece of padauk makes when you drop it? I believe they make nice marimba keys.

Random, but I like the bench top wood!
Thanks, Paul,

It's a crappy old dining table that's starting to feel the effects of heat, cold, wet and dry weather. It's my workbench (yes, at home I'm working outside).

And yes, padauk sounds very lively in small thin pieces but (no surprises, I hope: I'm not a big believer in extreme effects of tone wood) I don't think it'll make a massive difference other than look good.

Slowly starting to look like a Polaris bass - little bit of body shaping:

Padauk is a very interesting timber to work with. Very easy to shape (rasp, file, sand paper, sander) but occasionally just drops little flakes (not an issue with the body, was more an issue with the end of the neck plate). The sanding dust is outrageously orange and very fine - settles nicely into the ash grain, not exactly what I want.
Smells nice though :)

Used my new random orbital to get a nice symmetrical round-over at the bridge end, super-happy, best I ever managed to do that.

Also: fixed a couple of issues with the neck and just glued up the fretboard blank. Doing it the hard way this time, wanted to glue the flat board on and will have to do the radiusing (it's only 20" so not a big deal) and the fret slot cutting manually. Still contemplating to stain the maple board blue so I'd do that before the fret slots. We'll see.

Regards,
Michael
That’s a lovely top on that one Michael
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Jan 2018, 12:05

RedVee wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 20:42

That’s a lovely top on that one Michael
Subdued elegance, this. It'll pop some with the finish applied but it's not as "over-the-top" as some of the spalted maple.

I have another set of padauk with a little less grain but with that same amazing colour.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

drbass

Post by drbass » 24 Jan 2018, 18:57

Material arrived today from the US so a little more work after work.

The routing templates are a little hit and miss. The MM is absolutely spot-on, fits like a glove. The P, not so much - very tight, and the corners need a little bit of individual attention to reduce the radius. Anyway, LOVE the look, it'll be a mean machine:

Need to take 1, 1.5 mm off the length of the neck, it's intruding just a tiny little bit into the P rout. Can lift up holding the neck without supporting the body (and no bolts) so it's a nice tight fit.

Not sure if I've mentioned that I'll be using a 4-way rotary to have P only, P+MM in series, P+MM in parallel, and MM only rather than just a three-way mini. I think in this case - because there are very different pickups involved - both tries and parallel will give meaningful options. (Of course the MM will have the usual series/parallel mini switch.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

packrat

Post by packrat » 24 Jan 2018, 20:52

That’s looking great!

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 25 Jan 2018, 12:43

Looking Great. This will be one very versatile bass when it's finished :cool:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Jan 2018, 15:03

Routed the electronics compartment to final depth and immediately covered the inside with superglue to make sure it's as stable as can be. Sanded top 120, 180, 240 and took the edges off the pickup routes. There's still a fair bit of open grain (VERY interesting timber, this padauk) but that's now ready for finishing.

120 sanding and then wire-brushed the ash. Incredibly humid today so I was soaking wet - took about 90 minutes all up.

Made a Timbermate slurry (about 25% water, maybe a little more) and rubbed that on, working it into the open pores of the grain. It's already dry (only took about 30 minutes or so) but I might leave it until tomorrow to sand.

Then it's "party time" - masking off the padauk and then applying the blue aniline dye. Thinking of doing a 1:5 dilution and see how that looks - easier to put on more than taking some off ;) .

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 26 Jan 2018, 20:51

Let the fun begin :popcorn:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

Curto

Post by Curto » 28 Jan 2018, 12:34

drbass wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 15:03

120 sanding and then wire-brushed the ash.
I can see how close the neck cavity is to the pickups now. A very clever design to fit everything in. I was thinking about the cleaning out ash grain with a wire brush but thought it might scratch up the top and then sanding back would fill the grain again. I'm going to experiment cleaning out the grain with an air compressor.
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 28 Jan 2018, 12:42

Hi Paul,

Companies like Sandberg do sandblasting rather than using a wire brush so no issues with scratching.

I generally don't sand back before I apply whatever it is I use (in this case Timbermate, but same goes for the Osmo stuff) since I have to re-sand after the application anyway which means that the small number of minor scratches will be taken care off that way.

In fact, it's a great indicator of how good your surface is in the first place. Example: I used my random orbital sander for the back of this build and thought it's a perfect surface. Turns out there were lots of small round scratches on the surface - I only used the 120 grid disk - that were filled with the Timbermate. Looked kind of interesting but wasn't really interested in pursuing that for this build.

I've got everything sanded back and drilled the jack hole. Looks OK. Way too hot and muggy to do anything today ... .

Regards,
Michael

Curto

Post by Curto » 28 Jan 2018, 13:02

I've noticed on my off-cut experimenting that the black finish highlights any scratches from rougher sandpaper. Now sand blasting ash is an idea! That might look like applying black first - then sand blasting - then clear or colour on top? You've got me thinking ...
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 28 Jan 2018, 13:07

Curto wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 13:02
I've noticed on my off-cut experimenting that the black finish highlights any scratches from rougher sandpaper. Now sand blasting ash is an idea! That might look like applying black first - then sand blasting - then clear or colour on top? You've got me thinking ...
The way I understand it is that the sandblasting replaces the wire brush - you get much more dramatic depth in the grain and that 3D effect some of the Sandberg display.

I'd blast first, do the black, then sand back.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 28 Jan 2018, 13:18

Front - not much changed but you can probably just make out the little notch for the jack (that was just about another 30 minutes, btw):

Back - looks OK. Timbermate always tends to be a little grey before you apply additional stuff so that's all OK (looked great when I wiped it down with methanol):

Regards,
Michael

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 28 Jan 2018, 14:18

Very nice. Swamp ash seems to respond well to sand blasting, the Warwick FNA Jazzman I had was swamp ash on the back sand blasted to great effect, as was the Warwick Taranis also swamp ash I had for a while. Those large deep grain lines turn into a fantastic tactile surface with a thin finish over them.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

drbass

Post by drbass » 28 Jan 2018, 19:22

Had to be careful not to saturate the fretboard with sweat - and that was at 7:00pm.

All you need to cut the fret slots. Worked out OK, no tempered fret work this time ;) .

Regards,
Michael

packrat

Post by packrat » 28 Jan 2018, 19:58

What different fingerboard woods have you had experience with in your different builds.