What about these Delano pickups?
Or a similar slim soapbar without the exposed blades?ImageImage

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Custom 32

drbass

Re: Future Builds - Maybe Random

Post by drbass » 26 Dec 2017, 19:22

Interesting options, Paul,

But the devil is in the detail: 18-19 mm string spacing (I'm doing 17), and they're also rather expensive (even for Delanos). Plus I'm not a big fan of the exposed pole pieces (I know, I tried with the 5 string Kermit but wasn't that happy with the look).

Anyway, after putting it all down on paper I'm now rather happy that it'll work and have ordered some hardware (thought I had a set of tuners and a bridge but apparently not, as well as a Delano PC 5 HE which will work with the MC 5 HE.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Curto

Post by Curto » 26 Dec 2017, 19:47

No worries. I agree on the aesthetics front - no pole pieces is a cleaner look.
Sounds like it will be a very versatile sounding bass.
Custom 32

tyr0n

Post by tyr0n » 01 Jan 2018, 16:10

hay guys
happy new year's day 2018
great topic and interesting build descriptions
sadly, the 'Photos Not Found' message is on all the pics, in case you haven't noticed.
one wonders are the pics on photobucket or anywhere to be seen?
tyr0n

drbass

Post by drbass » 01 Jan 2018, 17:06

tyr0n wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 16:10
hay guys
happy new year's day 2018
great topic and interesting build descriptions
sadly, the 'Photos Not Found' message is on all the pics, in case you haven't noticed.
one wonders are the pics on photobucket or anywhere to be seen?
tyr0n
Hi tyr0n,

And welcome to OzBass.

I am fully aware that the Photobucket pics are "not found". There's a bit of history: Photobucket out of the blue hijacked all accounts and wanted to charge large amounts of money for the hosting (you will find many threads with "picture not found" messages). As a consequence I deleted my Photobucket account straight away, and those pics are not currently available.

I'll be straightforward: it's unlikely I'll go through the trouble and upload the pics to Flickr (the hosting service I'm using now), it's simply too time-consuming. Apologies.

All new pics should show up OK, Flickr seems to be working just fine.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

drbass

Post by drbass » 03 Jan 2018, 07:02

Quick visit to the workshop last night.

Just took the book matched and glued-up padauk top, bit of bandsawing (rough shape plus extras like headstock veneer, electronics cover and a piece that'll go on the heel of the neck - had it all drawn on the timber, getting better at preparing :) ), and a bit of thicknessing/sanding. The padauk looks absolutely magnificent!
Also prepared two maple fretboard blanks, just about 7 mm thick right now. Why two? Well, if you cut a board in half you get two.

Caught up with Ivan (great-looking bass, really nice!!) and Blaine who I hadn't seen in ages. Not sure what he was doing with the body he was working on, so much chambering going on there was hardly any timber left. A light instrument? Very unlike Blaine ;) .

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 03 Jan 2018, 11:48

Love the colour and texture of that Padauk Michael. And yes....you are becoming very efficient indeed :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

basshack

Post by basshack » 03 Jan 2018, 20:10

It's most impressive when you cut down a board to make the two blanks without a line to follow and I agree with Ivan, you were very efficient in getting what you needed to do done.

My new project is a telecaster type guitar in the Thinline style and I am breaking more of my own "rules" as this will have frets and wait for it..... a truss rod! From the same piece of mahogany that the SS bass was made out of so it had to be chambered for the weight issue. Top piece is a lovely book matched piece of curly maple with QLD maple neck with Gidgy board, the SD pups I selected are going to be very hot apparently.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 03 Jan 2018, 20:21

Did some work on the neck blank today using my new router bits and templates. Really happy with the result, nice and straight edges :) .

You can see locations for the inserts marked (in fact, one is covered by an insert) and position of truss and one carbon rod. Not messing this one up, don't have a lot of neck to play with thanks to the reverse P location.

To the right is the fretboard blank that'll go on this one.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 05 Jan 2018, 12:52

Quick trip to the workshop this morning - what a day for a carving drive in an MX-5 :D .

While David expertly put the Clock 3-band pre into the 5-string Kermit (thank you, Master!!) I took care of the trussrod and carbon rod routs.

I have maybe 0.3 mm clearance above the trussrod, and about 0.6 - 0.8 above the carbon rods with acceptable side clearance. Will make it beautifully easy to embed them in the slow-curing hard-hitting (150 kg/square cm) araldite.

Now I can level the back, whack on the headstock veneer and the neck heel plate (both padauk), properly fit the nut end of the trussrod, glue in the carbon rods, drill a few holes for the inserts, fit the neck heel into the body neck rout and then put on the fretboard.

What do you think Blaine? 30 minutes? ;)

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 05 Jan 2018, 12:59

Looks great Michael. I really like the three piece neck and tilt back head stock. Would love to try something like that in future :yep

Really looking forward to seeing this one come together. That Padauk you had in the workshop on Tuesday is just beautiful.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

drbass

Post by drbass » 05 Jan 2018, 13:07

Classic5 wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 12:59
Looks great Michael. I really like the three piece neck and tilt back head stock. Would love to try something like that in future :yep

Really looking forward to seeing this one come together. That Padauk you had in the workshop on Tuesday is just beautiful.
I'm happy with how things are going, I went into this with a lot more clarity of what I want, proper planning and careful measuring so I am starting to feel that I am reasonably on top of the task. I just hope the colour combination I have in mind works out OK.

Note for Davin (shlashin_velvet): glue lines: visible; some tearouts: clearly visible. This will obviously be levelled and lightly sanded once the carbon rods are in but ultimately I'm not too worried about the tearout. The glue lines, well, I might eventually end up being able NOT to have them. Very easy to spot with this lighter timber, would have been great to do a 5 piece neck with maple/purple heart/maple/purple heart/maple - no chance of noticing the glue lines then.

Regards,
Michael

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 05 Jan 2018, 14:49

drbass wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 13:07
I'm happy with how things are going, I went into this with a lot more clarity of what I want, proper planning and careful measuring so I am starting to feel that I am reasonably on top of the task. I just hope the colour combination I have in mind works out OK.

Note for Davin (shlashin_velvet): glue lines: visible; some tearouts: clearly visible. This will obviously be levelled and lightly sanded once the carbon rods are in but ultimately I'm not too worried about the tearout. The glue lines, well, I might eventually end up being able NOT to have them. Very easy to spot with this lighter timber, would have been great to do a 5 piece neck with maple/purple heart/maple/purple heart/maple - no chance of noticing the glue lines then.

Regards,
Michael
haha :p

Looks like its coming together! As a side question....how thick do you guys cut your neck blanks? My blank is 38mm at one side and 36mm at the other (I havent levelled it yet). Was thinking of trimming it down to about 22-23ish so the 38mm side offcut is circa 15mm and I can use it for the scarf joint instead of a different piece of timber. Thoughts?

drbass

Post by drbass » 06 Jan 2018, 08:54

Depends on how thick your board is. I aim for a total thickness (neck and board) of 25 mm at the heel for a standard neck (different for the Manta and Kermit necks). If your board is 6 mm along the centre line you need 19.

I remove thickness at the other end only when everything else is done (generally down to 20-21 mm at the first fret, including board but of course not the fret itself).

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 07 Jan 2018, 07:58

Productive day yesterday. Pretty much everything went according to plan except for a couple of small things - expect some "never-before-seen" features in the final product ;) .

Best-ever fit of the neck into the neck pocket - don't be fooled, the slight "roll-off" at the bridge end is intentional. Have been using "template" bits with the router for the first time, and everything just fits perfectly.

Side-view:

As you can see the padauk heel plate will be a genuine feature of the neck - but it's sooo brittle! Good to know for when I shape the body, careful with that rasp, Eugene.

First carbon rod in situ, covered with super-strength araldite. Too easy, such an straightforward process now that I know my way around it.

And the top glued to the ash body:

Ready for some rough bandsawing and final thicknessing (aiming for 38 mm), then routing, shaping, well, I'm almost there.

Regards,
Michael