Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Re: Future Builds - Maybe Random

Post by drbass » 07 Aug 2017, 06:49

Here's a bit of a family history - not quite complete but you get the idea.

First "The Red Baron", the bass that started it all. Waiting for my Dingwall Z2 I thought "why does it take 9 months for those guys to build a bass?" I started building my own, and now I know. "The Red Baron".

Then of course "Kermit", a cousin to the Baron, clearly influenced by the Z2 but a much more refined (at least for me) body shape and execution than the Baron, introducing a number of new approaches, somewhat necessitated by the multi scale approach.

Last but not least we have a direct descendent of Kermit so I'll stick with "Kermit" but maybe we can call it "Kermit Gaia". Almost finished, looks beautiful in real life (the pic doesn't do it any justice). Again, modifications to the building process (the neck is just as long into the body as Kermit's, just "hidden") but clearly showing the overall theme of "Kermit".

And here they are all in one happy family pic:

Really happy with how things are progressing. More Kermits on the way, and more Mantas as well (will keep you updated on those).

P.S.: None of this would have been possible without the support of David and Robert (better known as Rob) from the Melbourne School of Guitar Making - thank you so much for showing me the light, guys :)

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

drbass

Post by drbass » 20 Aug 2017, 09:37

Final post here, I think you all get the idea. I'll start a thread in the Commercial Users section in the next week or so.

Anyway, the second Kermit-style bass is now finished, and I have to say I am happy with it. Some pics first.

Some called the colour scheme "earth burst" so I'll go with "Kermit Gaia".
6 string fretless, here are the specs:
silky oak with northern ash body; walnut contrast layer and spalted maple top;
35" scale;
one piece wenge neck with wenge board, unlined; dual action truss rod, 2 carbon rods, ebony nut;
Luminlay side markers;
Hipshot hardware, the Solo bridges mounted on a maple/wenge tone block sunk into the body;
Nordstrand FD3 (i.e. Dingwall) pickups, Glockenklang 3-band pre;
controls: series/parallel switch for each pickup; three way pickup selector (neck/series/bridge) instead of the 4-way rotary I've been using so far; vol (active/passive), bass, mid, treble.

Sounds nice, kinda fretless I'd say. Not so sure about the C string - very tight and not as open-sounding as the other 5 (effect of the scale?), other than that, yeah, not bad.

That is all.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

Curto

Post by Curto » 20 Aug 2017, 20:23

WOW! You have a gift Michael. That finish! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Custom 32

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 25 Aug 2017, 23:07

Couldn't resist posting this photo of the Dr Bass Kermit Fretless 6. Had a chance to see and hear the finished bass at the MSGM workshop today and boy is it a beauty :yep

And the sound......just phenomenal. Sustain like there's no tomorrow and more growl than an angry grizzly bear. The mwah factor is there in spades and the whole instrument is just exceptional :cool:

And here she is reclining on that couch:

Last edited by Classic5 on 26 Aug 2017, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Aug 2017, 06:46

"That couch" might have to be the background for pics of future builds.

Thank you for posting the pic and for your VERY kind words, Ivan, much appreciated.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 26 Aug 2017, 11:45

drbass wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 06:46
.................Thank you for posting the pic and for your VERY kind words, Ivan, much appreciated.

Regards,
Michael
Just telling it like it is Michael. It's a superb instrument without a doubt. Just look at it......sexy as :yep
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

Curto

Post by Curto » 26 Aug 2017, 16:31

Question:
What thickness do you plan your neck blank, fingerboards and body blank down to before routing and shaping?
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Aug 2017, 17:12

Curto wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 16:31
Question:
What thickness do you plan your neck blank, fingerboards and body blank down to before routing and shaping?
Playing it by ear a little.

For this last build the body ended up being about 37 mm thick, the original Kermit is 36, the red Manta is 37. The original Q was only 30 but I'm currently building a replacement body (should all be done by the end of next week) which is 34.
Finger/fret boards generally between 5 and 6 but after radiussing and sanding I'm probably left with about 4 to 4.5.
Neck blank before fingerboard is generally about 21-22 which means I don't have to take off much, if anything, at the heel, and not much at the first fret.

Regards,
Michael

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 26 Aug 2017, 22:09

That 6 string is gorgeous even though I'm a 4 string kinda guy.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

MentalPatient

Post by MentalPatient » 27 Aug 2017, 14:34

Classic5 wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 23:07
And the sound......just phenomenal. Sustain like there's no tomorrow and more growl than an angry grizzly bear. The mwah factor is there in spades and the whole instrument is just exceptional :cool:
One of the most stunning bass's I've seen.
No need to spend on a U.S brand when you can have something like this custom built.

Michael, is the bridge your creation ?
Glockenklang Heart Rock II | Steamhammer | 6-Box | Quattro | Roscoe
Fender TB-600 | Baer ML115
Last edited by MentalPatient on 15 Apr 2015, 18:10, edited 963,482,564,947 times in total

drbass

Post by drbass » 27 Aug 2017, 14:47

MentalPatient wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 14:34
Classic5 wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 23:07
One of the most stunning bass's I've seen.
No need to spend on a U.S brand when you can have something like this custom built.

Michael, is the bridge your creation ?
Hi Anthony,

Don't see you commenting in the lutherie section very often ;) - thank you for your kind words.

Dingwall do this with their Canadian-built models but they use an aluminium block. I haven't seen this done with a piece of timber. All from necessity since the spalted maple top on the original Kermit was so inconsistent that mounting the Solo bridges individually was a complete nightmare, and putting them on a piece of maple, then sinking that into the body was a reasonably straightforward workaround.

I will do this for the Kermit basses.

Regards,
Michael

MentalPatient

Post by MentalPatient » 27 Aug 2017, 15:01

drbass wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 14:47
Don't see you commenting in the lutherie section very often ;) - thank you for your kind words.
Yeah, been spending a lot of time moving pedals and things in the classifieds.

With the way you mount them on a block I wonder if using that method for a P-bass build would give it even more growl or benefit the tone in some other way. I've consider'd the various bolt in P-bass aftermarket upgrade bridges but this look's leaps and bounds ahead.
Glockenklang Heart Rock II | Steamhammer | 6-Box | Quattro | Roscoe
Fender TB-600 | Baer ML115
Last edited by MentalPatient on 15 Apr 2015, 18:10, edited 963,482,564,947 times in total

drbass

Post by drbass » 27 Aug 2017, 15:23

MentalPatient wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 15:01
drbass wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 14:47
Yeah, been spending a lot of time moving pedals and things in the classifieds.

With the way you mount them on a block I wonder if using that method for a P-bass build would give it even more growl or benefit the tone in some other way. I've consider'd the various bolt in P-bass aftermarket upgrade bridges but this look's leaps and bounds ahead.
Not so sure, Anthony.

I wouldn't go down this path if you have a perfectly fine bass body with a nice sturdy surface. My choice would be a Hipshot A (aluminium), I think they are fine bridges that work as you'd expect.
What I am doing here requires major irreversible routing, and the use of individual bridge units (I use the Hipshot Solos, there are others).

Impact on tone? From a marketing perspective I should say "sure, depending on the type of timber I use to mount the bridges on - i.e. the "toneblock" - you can achieve a different sound. Mahogany? Mellow and smooth. Maple? Bright and full of attack."

But I won't say that because - while there will be a difference - I din't think you'd be able to hear it.

Anyway, happy to discuss at some stage.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 15 Oct 2017, 11:41

Quick update on progress in the Kermit family. Coffee table much? Well, this little baby looks rather sophisticated and benign but once pickup and electronics (SD Musicman replacement kit) are in this will be a rock and funk monster!

Pics:

Walnut body, maple layer and indian rosewood top.

Regards,
Michael

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 15 Oct 2017, 11:51

drbass wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 11:41
Quick update on progress in the Kermit family. Coffee table much? Well, this little baby looks rather sophisticated and benign but once pickup and electronics (SD Musicman replacement kit) are in this will be a rock and funk monster!

Pics:

Walnut body, maple layer and indian rosewood top.

Regards,
Michael
I love the top on this one.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au