Future Builds - Maybe Random

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
slowlearner

Re: Future Builds - Maybe Random

Post by slowlearner » 07 Jan 2018, 16:00

How do you get the araldyte in the slot? Spoon? Syringe? Helicopter?
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

drbass

Post by drbass » 07 Jan 2018, 16:06

You'll like this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/376946 ... 40x627.jpg

No, I mix it with a broad-bladed butter knife, let it sit for about 5 mins, mix again, then use the blade to scoop some up and "drizzle" it in. Since I have masking tape there's no issue with losing too much, I can just scrape it all back in. This normally leads to a somewhat uneven distribution so I run the blade through a few times until it's about even.

Rod goes in, the araldite squeezes out, and I can then cover the under-resourced parts by scraping over the top with a credit card or similar.

Once it looks even I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes - in that time there is some self-distribution and -levelling, and I then scrape of the surplus with the credit card.

That's it. Currently doing one at a time but will modify my masking tape approach so I can do both at the same time.

Cure overnight, remove tape, use scraper to level, and you're good to go.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 07 Jan 2018, 18:35

drbass wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 16:06
You'll like this:

No, I mix it with a broad-bladed butter knife, let it sit for about 5 mins, mix again, then use the blade to scoop some up and "drizzle" it in. Since I have masking tape there's no issue with losing too much, I can just scrape it all back in. This normally leads to a somewhat uneven distribution so I run the blade through a few times until it's about even.

Rod goes in, the araldite squeezes out, and I can then cover the under-resourced parts by scraping over the top with a credit card or similar.

Once it looks even I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes - in that time there is some self-distribution and -levelling, and I then scrape of the surplus with the credit card.

That's it. Currently doing one at a time but will modify my masking tape approach so I can do both at the same time.

Cure overnight, remove tape, use scraper to level, and you're good to go.

Regards,
Michael
Man I laughed hard when I saw that helicopter pic. :rolf:

What you described there is pretty much what I did. I thought you might have a neater method.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

drbass

Post by drbass » 07 Jan 2018, 18:38

Elvis, man, Elvis!!!

I thought what I did is pretty neat ...
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

drbass

Post by drbass » 10 Jan 2018, 10:38

Quick bandsawing session last night, and today I used the template router bits to finish off the body shape, and did a mild round-over just to get me started - it'll be much more aggressively shaped so you'll see the ash all the way round. Here it is:

So happy about this. Always struggled with the bandsawing-linisher treatment, this is a lot more accurate and really quick too. Mind you, there's a lot of wood coming off this even when you bandsaw very close to the line.

You can also see where the pickups are going to be (just). Will be interesting to hear what this one will sound like.

And this is one of my neck routing templates:

Not terribly worried about the headstock since it's angled anyway, just there for illustrative purposes/context really.

Regards,
Michael

Curto

Post by Curto » 11 Jan 2018, 10:18

The ash and padauk contrast brilliantly. Have you noticed the tinkle sound a piece of padauk makes when you drop it? I believe they make nice marimba keys.

Random, but I like the bench top wood!
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 11 Jan 2018, 16:04

Curto wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:18
The ash and padauk contrast brilliantly. Have you noticed the tinkle sound a piece of padauk makes when you drop it? I believe they make nice marimba keys.

Random, but I like the bench top wood!
Thanks, Paul,

It's a crappy old dining table that's starting to feel the effects of heat, cold, wet and dry weather. It's my workbench (yes, at home I'm working outside).

And yes, padauk sounds very lively in small thin pieces but (no surprises, I hope: I'm not a big believer in extreme effects of tone wood) I don't think it'll make a massive difference other than look good.

Slowly starting to look like a Polaris bass - little bit of body shaping:

Padauk is a very interesting timber to work with. Very easy to shape (rasp, file, sand paper, sander) but occasionally just drops little flakes (not an issue with the body, was more an issue with the end of the neck plate). The sanding dust is outrageously orange and very fine - settles nicely into the ash grain, not exactly what I want.
Smells nice though :)

Used my new random orbital to get a nice symmetrical round-over at the bridge end, super-happy, best I ever managed to do that.

Also: fixed a couple of issues with the neck and just glued up the fretboard blank. Doing it the hard way this time, wanted to glue the flat board on and will have to do the radiusing (it's only 20" so not a big deal) and the fret slot cutting manually. Still contemplating to stain the maple board blue so I'd do that before the fret slots. We'll see.

Regards,
Michael

Curto

Post by Curto » 11 Jan 2018, 18:24

I've never seen a blue fretboard before!
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 12 Jan 2018, 13:31

Couple of hours in the workshop this morning means I now have

1) a headstock in shape and final thickness;
2) a neck with the correct central thickness from fret 1 to fret 12;
3) a fretboard radiused to 20" (yes, I know, I said I was going to do it manually); still needs to be made flush with the edges of the neck;
4) a very substantial start on the tummy cut.

I also machined the edges to glue up the next body (yes, the next one - this is in anticipation of a commission build).

Good day so far.

Quick nanna nap now so I don't fall asleep during tonight's blues gig ( ;) ). And then, well, it just started raining so probably no more work on the bass today (was hoping to sand the fretboard).

Regards,
Michael

P.S.: I know, Davin, I know - no shaping before the routing is finished. Sometimes I don’t do what I say ;) .