Sneaky's random builds log

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Re: Sneaky's random builds log

Post by drbass » 08 Oct 2017, 16:39

It’s all too good, Pete. Amazing stuff. Not sure about the top horn scroll though ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 08 Oct 2017, 19:35

The new design has a lot of potential Pete. iMO you'll have to be careful to get that scroll right. You don't want it to end up looking like Gonzo's nose :2c:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 08 Oct 2017, 20:54

Not wedded to the scroll but looked too ritter clone anyway else I tried. See what else I can come up with although I’m much more comfortable with the single cut shapes so this was a struggle

Curto

Post by Curto » 13 Oct 2017, 18:56

SneakyJak wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 14:56
So slightly embarrassing moment ... I have been working on a 30” build prototype for a while. I had started with and EVH Wolfgang template as a starting point.

As a reminder

As it turns out Mr Scott Whitely appears to have done exactly the same

I really like your original design!! I don't think its too similar to the SW bass. His bass more closely resembles Alembic's brown bass - more symmetrical. Here is Scott's design:
Custom 32

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 14 Oct 2017, 08:54

This build will be finished as a proof of concept for my wiring idea. Which is to say I’m stealing David Searle’s cork sniffer idea as well as wrestling out of Tom Konig how he managed to wire a the Delano quad coil as a five way.

The basic idea is my fretless has a 1.0u cap which gave it a dark full sound. the cork sniffer idea is just putting a rotary switch with a number of selectable caps to shape the tone as well as a full tone circuit bypass. From memory I think the common values are .22 and .42 although I’m probably wrong.

Where Tom’s part comes in he managed to wire up a quad coil so you had series/parallel/p/reverse p/single coil or something like that. So between the 5 way and selectable caps I should have a variety of tones available while keeping overall costs down by keeping it passive.

This instrument is really aimed at recoding in the Home studio and having as many options available as possible. Utilitarian

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 20 Oct 2017, 18:41

Bridge done and pinned fretboard end shaped to match the sound hole. Might actually get this done before the end of the year

Fitted the neck to my 36” scale bass. Rubbish photo but you get the idea

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 20 Oct 2017, 22:02

SneakyJak wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 08:54
This build will be finished as a proof of concept for my wiring idea. Which is to say I’m stealing David Searle’s cork sniffer idea as well as wrestling out of Tom Konig how he managed to wire a the Delano quad coil as a five way.

The basic idea is my fretless has a 1.0u cap which gave it a dark full sound. the cork sniffer idea is just putting a rotary switch with a number of selectable caps to shape the tone as well as a full tone circuit bypass. From memory I think the common values are .22 and .42 although I’m probably wrong.

Where Tom’s part comes in he managed to wire up a quad coil so you had series/parallel/p/reverse p/single coil or something like that. So between the 5 way and selectable caps I should have a variety of tones available while keeping overall costs down by keeping it passive.

This instrument is really aimed at recoding in the Home studio and having as many options available as possible. Utilitarian
That's going to be one seriously versatile bass Pete :popcorn:

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 16 Nov 2017, 14:47

Getting close to done ... 4 days of grain filling with CA glue and sanding now starts the hard bit ... making this look like glass

Hard to take decent photos with the overhead lights but first coats going on

drbass

Post by drbass » 16 Nov 2017, 15:14

Are you spraying this yourself, Pete?

The ziricote looks absolutely amazing like this! Love it. Enjoy the gals-making (I know I wouldn't ;) ).

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 16 Nov 2017, 15:48

Jens is spraying the sealer coats today. I had to run (MRI appointment) I was going to give it a crack tomorrow after I sand. Got to learn to do it at some point.

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 16 Nov 2017, 18:34

Jens sent me some better photos

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 08 Dec 2017, 19:11

Almost at the end ...

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 08 Dec 2017, 21:06

That looks nothing short of spectacular Pete. The shine on the ziricote back and sides.....someone pass me the shades :cool:

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 09 Dec 2017, 06:15

Classic5 wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 21:06
That looks nothing short of spectacular Pete. The shine on the ziricote back and sides.....someone pass me the shades :cool:
Thanks ... Jens asked me yesterday if I would ever do high gloss again after how much effort has gone into it. I’ve been working on the finish a hour or two a night for two weeks from wood through sealer, finish coats and buffing. Spent 4hrs on the buffing wheel yesterday chasing scratches and it was sanded to 2000. Need to get myself some 3000+ sandpaper to simplify the buffing process. . It has a couple small pinholes I’m really not happy with.

In case you were wondering my answer to jens was. Absolutely, high gloss for everything!

Should offer finishing as a service, .... food for thought. it definitely falls within my obsessive personality failings

drbass

Post by drbass » 09 Dec 2017, 06:27

SneakyJak wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 06:15
Classic5 wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 21:06
Thanks ... Jens asked me yesterday if I would ever do high gloss again after how much effort has gone into it. I’ve been working on the finish a hour or two a night for two weeks from wood through sealer, finish coats and buffing. Spent 4hrs on the buffing wheel yesterday chasing scratches and it was sanded to 2000. Need to get myself some 3000+ sandpaper to simplify the buffing process. . It has a couple small pinholes I’m really not happy with.

In case you were wondering my answer to jens was. Absolutely, high gloss for everything!

Should offer finishing as a service, .... food for thought. it definitely falls within my obsessive personality failings
You are a better man than I’ll ever be, Pete. Gloss only if ABSOLUTELY requested ...