Sneaky's random builds log

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
SneakyJak

Sneaky's random builds log

Post by SneakyJak » 03 Feb 2017, 21:49

this is going to be just one long random blog of my various projects. This is guitars, acoustics and basses. I'm just an enthusiast open to suggestions and looking for any excuse to build something.

The uncles Telecaster. The back story, my uncle got me into playing guitars when I was very young and took me to buy my first guitar. Which I still have. He's an amazing blues guitarist and set me on a musical path that's been with me my whole life. Last year he had all his guitars stolen and sure insurance replaced them but I thought this is an opportunity to say thank you for a lifetime of guitar playing.

the build is:
Neck: maple
fretboard: gidgee
body: New Guinea rosewood with camphor top
fretwire: evo gold
pickups: Mick Brierley custom alnico 2 pickups
bridge: Mastery bridge
trem: Bigsby B5
tuners: Gotoh 510 locking

chambered body

drilling the top so we don't have slip when gluing

roughed on the band saw

refining the shape

cavity and pickup route

truss rod route

neck fitting

fretboard radius 9 1/2"

fret slotting

gidgee is really nice looking wood but it is stupidly hard and kind of to fret

didn't like the square neck heal so i've curved it and blended it with the fretboard. Really happy with how it turned out it works really well.

mapping out the neck carve. it's asymmetric and ball park the SRV strat profile just a bit thinner.

you get the idea of the neck transition and how it flows into the body

setting the scale length. And the two random holes. the mastery bridge uses thimbles like a les paul style bridge.

with the bridge in place

first coat on the neck

second coat

David preparing for battle

still wet

I prefer a matte finish to gloss

I'll be back in Melbourne in a couple weeks to do the final assembly

my next build I've been kind of plodding along with is my 50's P bass. haven't really been taking many photo's as it's a workhorse build that's been off templates. utilitarian but should sound great.

neck: maple
fretboard: maple
body: Australian red cedar
bridge: wilkinson
pickups: Mick Brierley custom alnico 2

I wanted a wood that had similar density as basswood. with the alnico 2 and wood this I'm hoping will be fat and warm.

the fretboard

not an visually interesting build but it's not meant to be.

and another project I'm working with a local Canberra luthier with is underway. As part of that build I had Tom purchase two pieces of African Blackwood before cites kicked in.

it really is very pretty wood

I'm also currently building but don't have many photo's for
Ibanez JEM 7 string. I'm actually doing a neck through multiscale version with Aussie region woods

Ergonomic headless 7 string multiscale version 2. it's currently about 65mm and I need to route before I jump like an idiot again into doing a radius in the body. I have devised a quicker way to do it I just need to build the routing jig.

Also working on another acoustic
adirondack spruce soundboard with ziricote back and sides with pale moon ebony fretboard. Haven't worked out what I'm going to use for the neck yet but I have some time. Falcate bracing for something different. I'm also laminating the sides with tassie blackwood,

doesn't look much but this spruce is from what I'm to understand the cream of the crop for sound boards

fretboard is a bit sexy in my opinion

I was marking out the sides for trimming but you can still see the grain.

decided to use the off cuts as the base of my rosette.

back is rough shaped and sanded down to thickness 2.3mm

I'm also teaching myself how to do an archtop solid body. I've decided to do a really thin style inspired by Jens Ritters guitars.

I did the initial shape with an angle grinder and flap disk. I'm onto scrapers now and it's getting closer but it's a slow process. At least for me.

flap disc

scrapper (sorry for the poor lighting)

the back, flap disc

just started with the scrapper

I think that's everything for the minute ?

Petebass

Re: Sneaky's random builds log

Post by Petebass » 03 Feb 2017, 23:28

I'm really, really starting to think i want a bass with a camphor laurel top. That tele looks incredible!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 04 Feb 2017, 07:15

Do you ever sleep?! Some very nice work here I must say. Quite unusual directions too with the design which I'm loving. Really well done!
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 04 Feb 2017, 07:42

Petebass wrote:I'm really, really starting to think i want a bass with a camphor laurel top. That tele looks incredible!
Bang for your buck camphor is very reasonably price. That's a 5mm acoustic back which is enough to work with.

cleary

Post by cleary » 06 Feb 2017, 11:13

Some awesome stuff in here, looking forward to seeing how it all comes out. The variety of bass/guitar electric/acoustic builds is really interesting too

Side note, you especially, have inspired me to start saving for a bass guitar building holiday in Melbourne for my 40th. I've got 3 years to get my act together and make a decision on what I want :)
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 06 Feb 2017, 12:13

SneakyJak wrote:
Petebass wrote:I'm really, really starting to think i want a bass with a camphor laurel top. That tele looks incredible!
Bang for your buck camphor is very reasonably price. That's a 5mm acoustic back which is enough to work with.
don't know about QLD, but in NSW, Camphor Laurel is considered a noxious weed... hence, all the better reason to use the stuff...
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 06 Feb 2017, 12:49

Oh don't worry, there's no shortage of it up here either, especially around places like Gympie. There's a guitar timber shop in Malaney that usually has some very nice pieces in stock.

To be honest, buying the SR805 head cooled my gas for a nice timber finished bass.... for now :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 06 Feb 2017, 12:52

PilbaraBass wrote:
SneakyJak wrote:
don't know about QLD, but in NSW, Camphor Laurel is considered a noxious weed... hence, all the better reason to use the stuff...
Michael had mentioned that, happy to use it as it's nice to work with and it looks great

Between David and Rob you can't really go wrong. I think the quality of the builds coming out of he school are exceptional. it's a testament to the quality of their instruction and vast knowledge

I will say plan everything ahead of time you will save a bunch of time and make the most of the time you are with them.

drbass

Post by drbass » 06 Feb 2017, 13:44

Smells nice too - "scratch'n'sniff" opportunity, brings additional enjoyment to real-life ageing :) .

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 06 Feb 2017, 15:30

This is more Tom building than me but it's my design and experiment. The African Blackwood is being used on a design I came up with to make a 36" scale 6 string more manageable for those of us that arm length challenged. Its physically almost the same overall length as my Ritter 35", which I find comfortable. kind of wanted it shorter but with a swooped butt end it pushed things forward.

I'm going to use this body shape as a base build. Besides the 36" build I was thinking of doing a fretted and fretless 34" now I have some templates.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 06 Feb 2017, 17:55

OMG Pete........you've got so many great builds on the go. Amazing!

And looks like you're going for Delano's on the 36" bass......beautiful :thumbup:
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 06 Feb 2017, 18:31

Classic5 wrote:OMG Pete........you've got so many great builds on the go. Amazing!

And looks like you're going for Delano's on the 36" bass......beautiful :thumbup:
Well spotted, yeah it's the pj xtender set. Havent nailed down the if im going to use the p quad or split coil. Kind of want to keep it simple but the soap bar quad in my fretless sounds great so I don't know what to do.

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 06 Feb 2017, 19:38

Thanks for sharing pics and thoughts!
When the Tele's all complete, please see if you can get some sample playing of it? Love to hear the effect of the chambered NG rosewood.
I see..............basses!

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 06 Feb 2017, 21:28

noplanb wrote:Thanks for sharing pics and thoughts!
When the Tele's all complete, please see if you can get some sample playing of it? Love to hear the effect of the chambered NG rosewood.
I'm heading back down to Melbourne in a couple weeks to finish it off. I was going to take my Jim Kelley reverb amp so I'll try and convince David to let me take some video

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 08 Feb 2017, 07:28

Man, you're fully addicted now! :lol: Love what you're doing. :thumbup:
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1723392547681725/