BMT Build now under investigation

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
sic608

Re: BMT Build

Post by sic608 » 25 Aug 2016, 20:13

Anymore progress on this bass?
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

Curto

Post by Curto » 15 Nov 2016, 09:15

Sorry. It's been a while. The build was on hold for a while, but finally looks like it's nearing completion.
The electronics and controls are going in and the today. Brad is also making a pickguard to accomodate a J pickup in the neck position, which I can swap in and out (using EMG solder-less pickups). Yet to install the nut and string it up with some stainless steel.
Here are a few pics:
Custom 32

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 15 Nov 2016, 09:26

That looks awesome!

As an alternative to a pickguard, could he do a surround or pickup ring for the j pickup instead to cover the gap in the pickup cavity left by the J pickup not being as wide as the humbucker? It would be a shame to put a pickguard on that amazing top. :shrug:
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

drbass

Post by drbass » 15 Nov 2016, 09:33

No pick guard, no, no, no, blasphemy with timber like this!!!

Why do you think you'll need a J in the first place?

Beautiful, have to go back to page one to have a look at the specs. Nice example of a working multi-scale design, and the wood looks outstandingly beautiful.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Curto

Post by Curto » 15 Nov 2016, 09:51

I would prefer to keep it as is. The pickguard and J pickup is just incase I find it too cramped between the pickup and the neck. But actually looks like there is plenty of room between the neck and pickup to get a finger under there to pop a string.
Custom 32

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 15 Nov 2016, 10:22

can I be a real pain in the butt and ask if you can take some photo's of the neck to headstock transition. Maybe a side on ?

I'm really interested in how you've made this so clean and it's a little hard to see.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 15 Nov 2016, 11:21

MAN! People are building some AWESOME stuff on this forum recently. You're inspiring me to do something truly foolish in the name of bass guitars. Great work curto! :hyper:
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

sloth

Post by sloth » 12 Mar 2017, 06:43

Any updates?

Curto

Post by Curto » 14 Mar 2017, 11:51

She's all finished, strung up and ready to go. :thumbup: I've also ordered some body and neck blacks that Brad is going to prep for me which no doubt will delay its arrival. This has certainly gone over time from what was originally to be a 8-12 week build!! :thumbdown :cry
Custom 32

sic608

Post by sic608 » 14 Mar 2017, 15:28

Curto wrote:She's all finished, strung up and ready to go. :thumbup: I've also ordered some body and neck blacks that Brad is going to prep for me which no doubt will delay its arrival. This has certainly gone over time from what was originally to be a 8-12 week build!! :thumbdown :cry
If your willing can u share any reasons why. How long was the build in the end? And possibly the overall process of the build?
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

Curto

Post by Curto » 14 Mar 2017, 17:58

The initial build began in August 2015! Back then I thought it would be finished and ready for my Christmas carols gig. It started on schedule but gradually fell behind while other prototype basses were made. EMG and Hipshot parts were ordered and unfortunately reordered from the US which was a delay. At the end of last year Brad's family was in a car accident. Around the same time there was a break in in their house and some health issues. I know there was also technical problems with a new server for his email and website. Perhaps it came down to too much work for one guy?? I've been fortunate enough to have some updates and pics of the build process whereas I know others have not. I've learnt a bit from the process that I hope to put together for some future builds that I'll do myself.

July 2017 Update: My bass is finally finished as of 6th March 2017. Unfortunately, I have still not received my bass. The BMT Custom Guitars website has now shut down. Correspondence via email, letter, message and phone has ceased from Brad. I am aware of at least three other customers, who have paid in full, and have not received their basses or refunds or any communication at all. It is now under investigation.
Custom 32

sic608

Re: BMT Build now under investigation

Post by sic608 » 16 Aug 2017, 19:11

Only just seen this. It is considerably sad news :(

In the videos and website etc he seems like a genuine bloke lookin to do well in the trade. And from ur previous comments looks as if he has had some bad luck and all somewhere along the line come unstuck.

And then there is yourself and others who have unfortunately been on the receiving end. And despite whatever reasons the lack of communication is poor. Pride and many other possible reasons for this may be factors but one would think open communication about said issues would be a must particularly for people such as yourself for putting such trust and investment into him

I hope all works out for all parties. And would be interested in how it all pans out

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 16 Aug 2017, 19:32

That sucks Paul
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

deathjazz

Post by deathjazz » 02 Nov 2017, 11:33

Hey mate. Im in the same boat. But mine was started in july 2014. Done wrong, sent backnfor a refinish that has taken 1.5 years and as if February have heard nothing from Brad.

He owed payment for warranty work done by a mate here in Melb and didnt pay until legal action was threatened.

Im now at the stage where i want all the bart and hipshit stuff i forked out for

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 02 Nov 2017, 14:26

aww man that sucks , I really feel for you both.

a visit is in order if you can track him down hehe
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf: