Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
User avatar
drbass
Posts: 2515
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by drbass » 29 Oct 2017, 13:13

SneakyJak wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 12:41
Classic5 wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 11:47
Imitate then inovate.
I must have missed that memo ... 8|

My philosophy is more along the lines of making it as hard as humanly possible
No kidding. Same boat, only I screw up all the time ;) .

Looking forward to catching up Friday, Pete (provided that’s still on).

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3423
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 29 Oct 2017, 13:15

SneakyJak wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 12:41
Classic5 wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 11:47
Imitate then inovate.
I must have missed that memo ... 8|

My philosophy is more along the lines of making it as hard as humanly possible
Yes Pete......I totally agree :lol:

Both you and Michael are definitely innovators.......no doubt about it :notworthy:
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

User avatar
SneakyJak
Posts: 1454
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 22:15
Location: Canberra

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by SneakyJak » 29 Oct 2017, 16:42

drbass wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 13:13
SneakyJak wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 12:41
Classic5 wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 11:47
Imitate then inovate.
I must have missed that memo ... 8|

My philosophy is more along the lines of making it as hard as humanly possible
No kidding. Same boat, only I screw up all the time ;) .

Looking forward to catching up Friday, Pete (provided that’s still on).

Regards,
Michael
No problem look forward to catching up

User avatar
Phil
Site Admin
Posts: 2621
Joined: 22 Oct 2008, 23:35
Location: Cedar Vale, QLD (Southside Brisbane)
Contact:

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Phil » 30 Oct 2017, 08:11

Classic5 wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 11:47
There's a saying that goes......Imitate then innovate. I'm only at the first stage of that right now.....just a beginner, learning the basics and enjoying the journey.
Fair enough, I started the same way my first build was a copy of a Warrior bass. The work looks really nice so far Ivan, you're doing really well.

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3423
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 30 Oct 2017, 12:08

Phil wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 08:11
Classic5 wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 11:47
There's a saying that goes......Imitate then innovate. I'm only at the first stage of that right now.....just a beginner, learning the basics and enjoying the journey.
Fair enough, I started the same way my first build was a copy of a Warrior bass. The work looks really nice so far Ivan, you're doing really well.
Thanks Phil, there's so much more to building a bass guitar than I ever imagined. Definitely gives me a greater appreciation for the work of experienced luthiers.
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

basshack
Posts: 4196
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by basshack » 30 Oct 2017, 19:02

Nothing wrong with looking at other peoples designs and adding your own interpretation. Got to start somewhere to get to somewhere else. As long as you don't say it's all yours and deny the inspiration of where it came from. In my latest build I am taking up some LeFay and Sneaky inspiration.

Pete: You down on Friday? I'll have to find a reason to go to Lilydale Shopping Centre...
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3423
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 30 Oct 2017, 19:24

basshack wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 19:02

Pete: You down on Friday? I'll have to find a reason to go to Lilydale Shopping Centre...
Hey Blaine, I think Michael is actually visiting Pete in Canberra on his way to the Sydney GTG.
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

basshack
Posts: 4196
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by basshack » 30 Oct 2017, 21:52

Oh, yes that makes sense. Pity I'd like to have caught up and can't make Sydney either, readdressing a whole buildings IP network on Saturday. 279 fixed device IP's that all have to know each others IP address. It's a hell of a table to get right.

I'll be at MSGM on Thursday night to finish off the shorty and work on the violin if you're going to be around.
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

User avatar
SneakyJak
Posts: 1454
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 22:15
Location: Canberra

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by SneakyJak » 30 Oct 2017, 22:37

basshack wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 21:52
Oh, yes that makes sense. Pity I'd like to have caught up and can't make Sydney either, readdressing a whole buildings IP network on Saturday. 279 fixed device IP's that all have to know each others IP address. It's a hell of a table to get right.

I'll be at MSGM on Thursday night to finish off the shorty and work on the violin if you're going to be around.
Think Ivan will have his finished by the time my pickups turn up but I’ll find an excuse to come down when my 36” is close to completion. Probably should learn how to spray at some point

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3423
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 11 Nov 2017, 20:28

Saturday.......workshop day :D

Beautiful drive past the Dandenongs to MSGM workshop today:

Image
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3423
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 11 Nov 2017, 20:33

Time for a quick photo update.

HHmmm :hmm Does this look familiar. Trying for a magnetic battery cover similar to the Dingwall design except we only need one battery here so it will sit flat to minimize the depth of the route.

Image

Some edge rounding with the router:

Image

More edge rounding with the file:

Image

I'm starting to think that I should leave this natural with only some grain enhancer :hmm

Image

All with lots of great advise from David and Rob....thanks again guys.
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 2515
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by drbass » 12 Nov 2017, 08:23

Looks great, Ivan.

Magnetic battery cover is next on my list of trying to make my builds as easy and fun to use and play as possible. Which magnets do you use?
BTW, I would have gone deep with the rout (plenty of thickness in that body) and double size "just in case" - the void can always be filled with (lighter) foam :) .

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3423
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 12 Nov 2017, 10:19

drbass wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 08:23
Looks great, Ivan.
Magnetic battery cover is next on my list of trying to make my builds as easy and fun to use and play as possible. Which magnets do you use?
BTW, I would have gone deep with the rout (plenty of thickness in that body) and double size "just in case" - the void can always be filled with (lighter) foam :)......
Thanks Michael. Yes, I tend to agree with you re the battery compartment depth. It's on the side of the body that has the forearm rollover on the other side so we kept the cavity quite shalow. But in hindsight a deeper cavity would be ok.....just in case.

Not totally sure about the magnets. I have a few different types I purchased from Officeworks but a couple of the guys at the workshop have suggested some rare earth magnet suppliers. So it's yet to be determined as to what will work best,
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

User avatar
BOSS302BASS
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 13:40

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by BOSS302BASS » 15 Nov 2017, 07:14

Classic5 wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 20:28
Saturday.......workshop day :D

Beautiful drive past the Dandenongs to MSGM workshop today:

Image
The entrance to the rabbithole... 8/

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3423
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by Classic5 » 15 Nov 2017, 10:58

BOSS302BASS wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 07:14
Classic5 wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 20:28
Saturday.......workshop day :D

Beautiful drive past the Dandenongs to MSGM workshop today:

Image
The entrance to the rabbithole... 8/
Come inside if you dare :twisted: :lol:

I just happened to be sitting outside in the carpark having a snack .......looked like the perfect photo opportunity :D
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests