Introduce Yourself

Announcements, Introductions, Forum Support and Questions
Phil
Site Admin

Introduce Yourself

Post by Phil » 23 Oct 2008, 15:00

I'm Phil better known as Phil Mailloux in real life and on most forums I freqent. I'm originally from Montreal, Canada. If you hang out on TB you would have seen my posts mostly in the Luthier's Corner as I dn't post much elsewhere :)

I first came to Australia as a backpacker in '98 where I met my Dutch wife, after having followed her back to Holland and lived there a little while we decided to migrate here. A little less than 5 years later we finally succeeded and migrated here :partydance: I started playing guitar at 13 in the mid-eighties. I dropped the whole thing at 18 and at 25 decided to pickup the bass. I've been playing on and off since then. I"ve been a lifelong woodworker and trained as a cabinet maker and carpenter in secondary school. After many years of procrastinating I build a new from scratch body for an original '74 stratocaster neck back in '97. That was the start of my screwing around with instruments. In '03 I started building my first from scratch bass. I decided I was going to become a part-time pro luthier the day my second build made "Guitar of the Month" on Projectguitar.com :mrgreen: I was particularly proud of that since no bass had done that in over 18 months before that (and it must have been a slow month back then when you see what that bass looked like :shock: )

At this point in time, I'm finishing a full-time study in a few weeks and (hopefully) will start working in the engineering branch very soon. I finally registered "maillouxbasses.com" at the same time as this forum and hopefully will get a pro website up very soon.

Let's hear it from you guys! :hyper:

mkat

M

Post by mkat » 23 Oct 2008, 20:49

I'm Michael. My sig is a giveaway as to who I am on TB and some other forums. I played bass in various bands around the traps in the mid 80's through the mid 90's. I learned to do my own setups and repairs over the years to ready my basses for the next gig. I've since moved on to Software Engineering, but still play and record at home - ideas keep flowing so going with the flow :D .

Around 3 years ago, I wanted a 6 string bass but they were far too expensive. I started to do some research back then after coming across some luthier forums, Phil's original site and various books. I thought Phil's attempt at making his own pickups was unreal and a great idea. So, one thing led to another and I began making my own basses and guitars. Although I only wanted to make one 6 string bass, I ended up making 3 basses (6 string, two 5's) and 2 guitars with more on the way :lol: . It didn't stop at instruments though. I found myself making bass and guitar pickups, truss rods, various tools for lutherie work and so on. Not to mention the gathering of tools...

Anyway, I think this forum's a great idea to get the bass players in this part of the world talking.
Last edited by mkat on 31 Oct 2008, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Phil » 23 Oct 2008, 21:17

Awesome Micheal, I think I just learned more from you by reading this then through all our pm's over the last few years :lol:

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 23 Oct 2008, 23:19

Hey guys,

I'm Adam (blizzard on TB... if the name doesn't give it away), I started on guitar but shifted to a few years ago to bass guitar which I'm much more comfortable on. I've played in a few bands mainly garage bands, a few paying jazz gigs and country band which was surprisingly fun. I also play double bass for Cleveland and Brisbane Symphony Orchestras (somewhat poorly might I add).

I'm currently doing Mechanical Engineering at UQ which I probably don't put enough time into, most of my net time is time I spend procrastinating from doing work.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 23 Oct 2008, 23:23

Welcome blizzard :mrgreen:

Rick

Post by Rick » 24 Oct 2008, 16:13

Hey chaps!

Rick here. Been bassin' for about 4 years now. Currently undertaking a Bach. of Music at Qld Conservatorium of Music. Not currently in any bands, focusing on getting half decent first. I'm a self confessed gear-whore (Phil will attest to this), though I'm pretty happy with what I've got at the moment.

Look forward to chatting to you all!

Rick.

PilbaraBass

Hey All

Post by PilbaraBass » 24 Oct 2008, 16:28

Hey All,

Kerry here...I've been bassin' since 1991...been playing drums since 1973...also play a bit of electric guitar...and I have a piano ;) LOL

I'm an American by birth (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, thereabouts) and moved to Australia in 2001.

I have 3 awesome Aussie kids and a beautiful Aussie wife. I live up here in Gladstone, QLD (6 hours out of Brisbane).

I've been a member on Talkbass since 2005 and am glad that Phil decided to set this forum up. It's a great idea for us "Aussies" (hey I've been here long enough, right? ;) ) to get to know each other better and talk about bassin' down under style...

I have 3 basses:

1) 1991 P-bass that I put together from parts: Alder body stained walnut, black pickguard, rosewood fretboard, BAII bridge, Schaller open-back tuners, G&B, Co. Pickup...it's a cool bass...:)
2) 1997 Carvin AC40, semi-hollow, englemann spruce top, matching 2x2 headstock, 24fret ebony board, all mahogany construction, LR Baggs acoustic saddle ribbon transducer...a very light, very cool bass strung with LaBella Nylon tapewounds
3) 2007 Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V...bought it on my last trip to America (this May)...it's an amazing bass for the price...plays and sounds amazing...

I have 2 amps:

1) Peavey Microbass 15W...cool little bass amp for the house, but I haven't used it in a long while
2) Laney HCM65...65W 1x10" combo...I use this as a foldback at church (my main [only] gig)...

Effects:
I use a Zoom B2.1u...I think it's an incredibly useful piece of gear...I use it at church as an effect unit, DI, Amp sim...
Home practice...I plug my laptop into the zoom USB and play .mp3 files and the zoom plays the .mp3's into the headphones, and I play along with my bass (or guitar) :)
Home recording...I started dabbling with the bundled CuBase LE and am just messing around a bit yet...nothing serious...

That's enough about me, for now...you're all should be sufficiently asleep at this point ;)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 24 Oct 2008, 16:32

Great to see you here mate!

Edit: Pilbara beat me to the post, great to see you here too Kerry.

Rick BTW is also "The bassist formerly known as Needmoney" elsewhere :D

Tendollarcat

Post by Tendollarcat » 24 Oct 2008, 23:25

I'm Tendollarcat (long story) otherwise known as Mat.

I'm 33 and have been playing bass for 18 years. I've had a crack at playing professionally a couple of times over the years and toured around Europe, Canada and most places in Australia. I'm now back in a pattern of day job and bands in my spare time. I play in original bands by preference so I'm either gigging alot and happy or torturing myself by trying to get new projects off the ground :D I'm just on the verge of getting a project up and running called the Empty Quarter. All things going well, we should be gigging around Bris shortly.

I'm obsessed with nice bass gear. I rarely meet a bass I don't like and am permanently looking to improve my sound (when I should just be working on my technique). I've probably chatted to a few of you over the years on TB and it's great that Phil has put this site together. Look forward to talking to you all.

Mat
http://www.facebook.com/younggriffo

Endorsing Artist - Ben Lindsey Guitars

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 24 Oct 2008, 23:45

Hey guys,

Looking forward to meeting you all forward on my great journey north. (from Brisbane to Biloelia) in the summer break.

Tendollarcat if you tell me where you are playing in Brissy I will try to get along.

Daveze

Post by Daveze » 24 Oct 2008, 23:48

Josh is my name.

Born and bred, dinky di Aussie. I'm 23 and a process engineer by trade (as I type, I'm in bed at a work camp, in the middle of commissioning a few things around a desal plant). I've been playing bass for about 9 years, with very little intention of going any further than very casual. I'm not home until next Thursday evening, so I'm going a little spare with out being able to play bass (I had to turn down playing on Sunday because my plans got changed).

In my spare time I tinker with electronics, currently with my fancy taken by headphone amplifiers, DACs and such. Hopefully I'll flick back to bass related stuff and I can get some of the cool ideas out of my head [now that I have money]

That's enough for now, there's plenty more to me than that but it'll have to do for now.

Cheers,
Josh D

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 25 Oct 2008, 19:58

blizzard wrote:Hey guys,

Looking forward to meeting you all forward on my great journey north. (from Brisbane to Biloelia) in the summer break.

Tendollarcat if you tell me where you are playing in Brissy I will try to get along.
Mate, when you get out to Bilo...we gotta get together...drop me an email, I'll give you my mobile number...

Kez
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 25 Oct 2008, 21:30

blizzard wrote:Hey guys,

Oh wow, I completely don't remember typing this :( but somehow I don't think I will be meeting everyone on my journey, it would be very inconvenient.

Kerry, I will definitely try to catch up with you sometime over the summer.

Rayle_Trail

Post by Rayle_Trail » 26 Oct 2008, 20:24

Hey I'm Rayle,
I'm a bass guitar owner
Been playing for about 9 years, but in truth its really only been about 3 or 4, that's about when I decided to pull my finger out and start practicing daily. I'm studying jazz with Rick at the big Con, just about to go into my second year.
I used to play in a local metal band called Function Cease, Now I play in a band called The William Moon Book Society myspace.com/thewilliammoonbooksociety which is a lot of fun.
Talk soon
There are 10 types of people; those that understand binary code, and those that don't.

Mr_Dave

Post by Mr_Dave » 27 Oct 2008, 19:53

Hi i'm Dave (also known as Mr_Dave on Talkbass)
I've been playing bass around 7 years having switched from classical/jazz piano... I studied bass at VCE and went on to study at Boxhill TAFE and Victorian College of the Arts. I've been slacking off these past few years and the practice and chops have drifted a bit, but i've been fairly busy gigging with a bunch of different artists... I'm in a couple of bands and have worked with different original singers/songwriters but at the moment i'm doing heaps of fill in gigs, mostly coporate jazz and covers... I also work a couple of days a week at the BassCentre in Melbourne.
I work at the BassCentre
Fender, GK, Aguilar, Sadowsky, blah blah blah