Introduce Yourself

Announcements, Introductions, Forum Support and Questions
instrumentsformusic

Post by instrumentsformusic » 15 Jul 2017, 08:48

Hey
I’m Neil from Melbourne Australia. This is my first forum so I’m not sure if I can give much feed back, but I do hope to learn a few things.
I love music and have always wanted to learn to play the drums, so at 61yo I decided to learn. I’m OK can keep a beat and I love it, should have started earlier.
I am now learning to play the bass guitar.
Neil

veebass

Re: Newbie

Post by veebass » 15 Jul 2017, 09:39

instrumentsformusic wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 08:48
Hey
I’m Neil from Melbourne Australia. This is my first forum so I’m not sure if I can give much feed back, but I do hope to learn a few things.
I love music and have always wanted to learn to play the drums, so at 61yo I decided to learn. I’m OK can keep a beat and I love it, should have started earlier.
I am now learning to play the bass guitar.
Neil
Welcome and good on you Neil!
I am 60 and am still gigging regularly, although I initially learnt at a younger age.
I am still learning though and that is what is important. All the best.
The group here is very friendly and happy to help. Feel free to ask anything.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

BassLine

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by BassLine » 15 Jul 2017, 12:37

Welcome Neil. As long as you're still breathing, you can learn something new.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Frobie

Post by Frobie » 21 Aug 2017, 05:33

Ok chaps. After 6 months I finally got around to uploading my gear pics in the basses and electronics threads. It's nice to be back too..its much friendlier here than over there at TB. Oh btw my nic over there was Giffro..and i'm sure BAG, RedVee and other guys here may remember that nic. Sorry I was away for so long...had lots of problems finalizing my deceased father's estate. Back now and will contribute purty regular. Anybody else 66 here?..lollll Ok just call me Gramps then..lol My actual name is Giff. Howdy all.
Peavey Dynabass 5, EBMM Stingray 5, RickenBacker 4003, Sterling byMusicMan S.U.B. Ray4, Fender CB100CE AcousticBass, Peavey MKIV 1820 Rig, Fender Rumble500 Combo w/115 Cab, Peavey T-40 Bass.
Getting paid for something you love doing is a dream fulfilled

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 21 Aug 2017, 13:55

Great to have you back Giff. Love the new photos!!

PS. I'm reposting your original post for clarity.
Frobie wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 23:58
Hi Bass Players. Now that i'm 65 I thought it was high time I joined a few bass forums and Ozbass was top of my list. Better late than never? I have been giggling in bands since I was 16 (so that's 50 years with a few breaks between bands). Most of my bands have been top40, pop, rock, "middle of the road" and even cabaret in my early days..mostly chasing the money as a semi-pro and that's the sort of music stuff in Adelaide people were wanting in the 70's and 80's etc. Corporate gigs are the best payers.
My gear has been the usual big names over the years..a selection of cheap Japanese copies in the mid 60's before my Fender Precision in 1967, Gibson (short neck) EB3 (69-76), 2 Rickenbacker 4003, Washburn Force 5 String, Fender Acoustic 4, my beautiful high gloss Fretless Maton Jumbuck 4 (JB4), Samick 4 my son left me, my workhouse of the last 30 years is my gorgeous red Peavey Dyna Bass 5 string I call Lucy (who my UK wife adores)..I have a made to order Ernie Ball Musicman SR5 HH on the way about mid year from the California factory which I am really hanging out for. My amps over the years have been a Goldentone (60watt i believe if memory is working) in the 60's, a (JM) Marshall 100watt bass head run into a variety of cabs (one had an 18" Gauss speaker with 2x12" somethings in it). I used, and still own the head (have pics), of a Sydney made Lenard amp head and cab..the head is a SGB150 and the cab ran 4x12" Etones. I butchered the cab unfortunately as it got really rattly and the size was hard to transport back then too. I made 2 column style boxes for the 4 (2x2 in a box) Etones and they did well using twin heads and running the 2 amps for stereo on the Rickenbacker 4003..an amp either side of the stage using the stereo jack on the bass splitting the 2 pickups to seperate amps...sounded great our front from all reports at places like the Bridgeway, Fiesta Villa at the Findon and Old Lion hotels etc etc etc.
My workhorse amp is a Peavey MarkIV head run though a Peavey 1820 cab which is heavy as beggery but what a sound when the Peavey Dyna Bass is pumping that big Black Widow 18" and the 2x10" Scorpions. I wouldnt swap the Peavey rig or Peavey axe for anything. I hope the EBMM SR5 sounds great through the Peavey amp..I'll let you all know by the end of July. For smaller gigs and band practises I use my Fender Rumble75 and thats got heaps of punch as well.
I am out of bands this past year or more as I got re-married to my English Rose (i'm an Ocker thru and thru) and we have had many things to do and my father died also, so I am near the end of my hiatus now and looking forward to gigging again soon hopefully, even though I've enjoyed the time off. Bands I've been in over the years were just local Adelaide bands like Quicksilver (70's) Catch 22 (80's) Risky Business (90's plus) and a bunch of names I struggle to forget loll I seem to remember one from the 60's called Neon Watermelon but that's all I remember from the 60's lolll Its been hazy ever since lolll
Anyway it's nice to join a group of like minded musicians amid this bass playing fraternity. Howdy all. Nice to meet you.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 21 Aug 2017, 14:12

G'day Giff, welcome!
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

Frobie

Post by Frobie » 21 Aug 2017, 16:49

Thanks for the bio repost of 6 months ago Owen and howdy RedVee. Yep I got waylaid the last 6 months loll..I even had to re-read what I posted back then lol, anyway It's nice to be a member of a great gang of bass playing guys and gals. I can see a heap of nics on here from TB as well but I now feel like i'm home. Hi all.
Last edited by Frobie on 24 Aug 2017, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Peavey Dynabass 5, EBMM Stingray 5, RickenBacker 4003, Sterling byMusicMan S.U.B. Ray4, Fender CB100CE AcousticBass, Peavey MKIV 1820 Rig, Fender Rumble500 Combo w/115 Cab, Peavey T-40 Bass.

Bogart05

Post by Bogart05 » 23 Aug 2017, 06:20

Hi Michael
Sorry for late... :-(
I've been busy finding a Warwick Bleached Blonde 5-string all the time. Unfortunately, I was always late!
So I'm still looking for!
I've found Ozzbass over Dembonez in the Warwick forum.
I was offered his Warwick bass in a fraud attempt. So I asked and he helped me to warn others.
So long

Frank

Frobie

Post by Frobie » 24 Aug 2017, 08:41

Hi there Bogart05. Welcome to OzBass Forum

meclazine

Post by meclazine » 03 Sep 2017, 08:15

Hi, I'm Travis

From Perth, played guitar since 1989 when Stevie Ray Vaughan brought out "in Step" and Jeff Healey released "See the Light".

Trotted on down to Barratt's music in Launceston to get my first instrument, a white Japanese stratocaster and a little Fender Champ 12W to start my new career as an 18yo bluesman.....a career that was not destined to be.

About five years ago, a bass playing friend in Melbourne got me onto Marcus Miller and I was blown away. One concert in particular, Festival Jazz Lugano 2008, really had a magical sound for their set start to finish.

Always had a thing for bass lines, especially bands where you could hear the bass front and centre: Janes Addiction, Green Day, Bob Marley, Abba.

hexcalibr

Post by hexcalibr » 09 Sep 2017, 21:45

Hey there,

I'm Darren and picking up bass again after a long break. I've read through a few posts on here for tips in the past, I feel like I'm well overdue to register, ask questions, maybe answer a few, and see what happens.

I've played in bands before as a drummer, and some really basic bass here and there, nothing serious though. A couple of years ago I started really learning bass - I had a great tutor, I'd signed up to ScottsBassLessons, even scored a free bass of a mate. A few significant life events sort of got in the way though and I've had a bit of a career change.

Life is much better now and I'm keen to get back into it! I'll have to find the right place to ask about buying an amp shortly - the headphone amp I have is OK for late night practice but not comfortable and it's a bit awkward to work with!
Basses: Daion Performer, Ibanez SR500
Amp: Hartke combo

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 10 Sep 2017, 09:07

Hi Travis - opportunity for bassline discussion here! The power of the bass is respected. Enjoy
I see..............basses!

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 10 Sep 2017, 09:08

Hi Darren, welcome and get around here and keep asking questions - people love to help where they can.
I see..............basses!

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 10 Sep 2017, 13:26

welcome Travis and Darren :)

Darren, I also came back to bass after a 22 year lay-off.

I must say it gets better as there are so many more resources avialable now easily via the net and youtube.

If only I knew the theory I now know back in the 80s hehe

the GOOD news is that bass amps have gotten LOUDER and LIGHTER :)

lotsa friendly knowledgable folk around here, don't be shy to ask for advice, oh and to both of you, we LOVE gear pics :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 11 Sep 2017, 16:45

hexcalibr wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 21:45
Hey there,

I'm Darren and picking up bass again after a long break. I've read through a few posts on here for tips in the past, I feel like I'm well overdue to register, ask questions, maybe answer a few, and see what happens.

I've played in bands before as a drummer, and some really basic bass here and there, nothing serious though. A couple of years ago I started really learning bass - I had a great tutor, I'd signed up to ScottsBassLessons, even scored a free bass of a mate. A few significant life events sort of got in the way though and I've had a bit of a career change.

Life is much better now and I'm keen to get back into it! I'll have to find the right place to ask about buying an amp shortly - the headphone amp I have is OK for late night practice but not comfortable and it's a bit awkward to work with!
Definitely the right place to ask about an amp!

Also, what's going on in that profile pic? Taking revenge on someone's front lawn?
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list